3rd Generation Yeast Starter Question (w/pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
I have a Wyeast Kolsch Ale yeast starter going... never seen this color of Krausen before. This is the 3rd generation. This generation has been stored in the fridge for about a month and took 10 hours or so to really get going. Let me know if this looks "healthy" or not. Thanks! :mug:

FYI... this yeast allows produces massive krausen so thats normal... i'm more concerned about the color.

1207111829.jpg

It looks fine to me. That's usually how my starters look. Unless I'm not seeing something

No its all there... the krausen is actually moving up the entire 2000ml flask. I was going to step the starter up again but I dont think I need to at this point. I am thinking that this is the "dirty" krausen that typically forms first?

What did you make your starter with? Was it a darker dme or something like that

just golden dme... would a "infection" produce off colored krausen? I am going to use it as long as it smells good!

Infections usually throw a weird smell or leave a visible sign like film or mold

I gave it a good shake and most of the dirtier krausen fell back into the starter now there is a nice white fluffy krausen. I think its fine. I love making liquid yeast less then 2 dollars per brew!

Starters can do things that you normally don't notice since activity comes and goes so quickly (especially with a stir plate). For instance, I usually make my starters in the evening and by morning a lot has happened that I usually don't see. Occasionally I'll be up at a weird hour and notice something that looks new, but it's just business as usual for the yeast.

I didn't think of the stir plate making it move through the stages of growth faster. good call

Latest posts

Back