Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genes

Reaction score
I have a rye ipa that looks to be just about finished fermenting. It has a sulfur smell. What gives?

White Labs California 5. I'm a little nervous about infection because the yeast came from a batch of Pale I made a few weeks ago. A little concerned that I may have picked up a bug when transferring the yeast from the pale fermenter to a mason jar.

i've had a couple of batches that smelled pretty bad. the smell went away after a few weeks and i was left with great beer

White Labs California 5. I'm a little nervous about infection because the yeast came from a batch of Pale I made a few weeks ago. A little concerned that I may have picked up a bug when transferring the yeast from the pale fermenter to a mason jar.

My pale with the cali V was a little sulfury smelling, dont worry about it

its the yeast. cali v is my house yeast i use it almost exclusively and yes every batch smells awful through fermentation. but none of the beer ever taste like it though. great yeast.

I pitched about 2 cups of pure yeast. It took off fast and finished fast.

Thanks for the responses. I guess we'll see what happens in a couple weeks.

I had a batch that had a sulfur smell to it a few months ago. It went away with a couple weeks of bulk aging. You should be fine.

IF after a few weeks the smell/taste is lingering you can always force carb the beer and then degass/scrub it by slowly letting the co2 come down to a few psi. I have had to do this for a wine and 1 beer (not the same yeast you used) and had EXCELLENT results.

sulfur is very volatile and rarely lasts. my Berliners don't seem to understand tho.

smelling/tasting sulfur during fermentation wouldn't bother me a bit. rdwhahb.

Not to worry you but I have a wit that produced sulphur day 3 of fermentation. Kept in primary for 6 weeks. Been in bottles for 2 Weeks now. Still can't drink it because of the sulphur. Gonna try to age in bottles for at least 2 months but will dump if improvement is not made. BTW, used WLP400.

Latest posts

Back