Analyzing color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I have access to a spectrophotometer at work and would like to imperically determine the color of my brews. I know that SRM is calculated using absorbance at 430nm, but when? As pre-fermented wort or as final, out of the bottle beer? does it matter?

SRM is predicte by calculating the Lovibond of the malt and the final beer volume, like this...

((MaltA°L * lbsMaltA) + (MaltB°L * lbsMaltB) + (MaltC°L * lbsMaltC)...etc.)/Pre-boil Volume

...I think... I wanted to say it's divided by final kettle volume, but I just tested this calculation compared to Beersmith and it worked out much closer using pre-boil volume.

So you have predicted SRM and real SRM. I'm fairly sure the SRM of the boiled wort is the same as the SRM of the beer.

I'd say fermented beer would be the best. Probably crash cooled and degassed too.

What method are you using. I have access to a crapload of spectrophotomers too. I have all of the programs to use them at work for measuring ink colors. That info doesn't translate very well to beer though.

I know people cite the usual "measured at 430nm through a 1cm cuvette" bla bla bla. Is this backed by a standardized white substrate? Backed by nothing?

What do people normally use for this? I'm using an Xrite i1 Pro (UV cut). I also have an Xrite 530 Spectrodensitometer. I don't think that would work well for this application though.

I'd say fermented beer would be the best. Probably crash cooled and degassed too.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - I'll have to save a few sips from my next bottle!

I know people cite the usual "measured at 430nm through a 1cm cuvette" bla bla bla. Is this backed by a standardized white substrate? Backed by nothing?

I'll calibrate the spectrophotometer with a blank - probably just H2O, though to be more accurate it should be a 5% ethanol solution (or whatever the ABV% of the beer is). The machine I have access to is a simple biology lab instrument - nothing fancy - just set the wavelength, zero the machine with the blank, insert sample, get reading. The machine I have is similar to this model - Spectrophotometers - HACH - Spectrophotometer. I'm not familiar with the machines you listed (BTW, the links didn't really work)

Back