fermentation stalled, NOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
I brewed a batch and had it bubbling away. Then it slowed down until at about day 8 it was stopped. This seemed normal and fine. Then at about day 17 it started to bubble, like one burp every 5 to 10 seconds. Now at day 18 its still burping.
I’d had it at 62 to 66 degrees. I noticed it crept up to 70 degrees at the re-birth. I think the temp increase is due to my inattentiveness, not heat generation, but I ‘m not sure.
Is this temperature related or just coincidental, it the beer ruined, what to do?

The rise in temperature likely triggered a release of co2 and no real fermentation is happening. Check it with a hydrometer.

No, fermentation did not restart. And yes, even that reasonably small increase in temperature drove a bit of CO2 from solution...and you saw bubbles.

It is the exact opposite when you crash a beer down 10-15 degrees. The cooling pulls CO2 back into solution, and could result in suck back, be it from an airlock or right though the blowoff. Similarly, it is why lagers take so long to show "signs" of fermentation. The yeast is working as soon as you pitch, but the cold liquid takes much longer to saturate with CO2, so those bubbling "signs" do not happen as fast. This is why the temperature of the liquid needs to be known and accounted for prior to priming on bottling day. Furthor, when you bottle beer, and keep moving it from warm to cold, CO2 keeps getting pushed out of solution every time it warms, and pulled back into solution every time it cools. Each time it cools, it also pulls oxygen into the bottle (those caps are not really an air tight seal) and that is why poorly stored beers show signs of oxidation (musty/cardboard) so easily.

Stable temps eliminate/minimize all of these scenarios.

Joe

I had this happen with an ESB using WLP002. I thought it just finished high at 1.023 (was shooting for 1.015) after one week, after 2 weeks I took another reading at 1.023. I went to rack it to a keg after 3 weeks this past Sunday and there were visible signs of fermentation (thin layer of krausen and some yeast swirling around) in addition to the bubbling airlock. Took a reading at 1.020 - it's still going today. I actually had to run to the LHBS and buy another carboy because of it!

No, fermentation did not restart. And yes, even that reasonably small increase in temperature drove a bit of CO2 from solution...and you saw bubbles.

It is the exact opposite when you crash a beer down 10-15 degrees. The cooling pulls CO2 back into solution, and could result in suck back, be it from an airlock or right though the blowoff. Similarly, it is why lagers take so long to show "signs" of fermentation. The yeast is working as soon as you pitch, but the cold liquid takes much longer to saturate with CO2, so those bubbling "signs" do not happen as fast. This is why the temperature of the liquid needs to be known and accounted for prior to priming on bottling day. Furthor, when you bottle beer, and keep moving it from warm to cold, CO2 keeps getting pushed out of solution every time it warms, and pulled back into solution every time it cools. Each time it cools, it also pulls oxygen into the bottle (those caps are not really an air tight seal) and that is why poorly stored beers show signs of oxidation (musty/cardboard) so easily.

Joe

So have I damaged the beer? If not, I assume stablel temp is also important after bottling during carbonation. What would be the ideal temp for carbonation, and then further storage / aging?

you will be fine. Get a few readings and if they are stable do as you wish. bottle or keg.

i doubt it... everything in my house fermenting/conditioning just shot up 4 degrees today because of the weather and i highly doubt all my brews are damaged or even changed in the slightest (except maybe my oatmeal stout which is in mid-fermentation) and i'm not worried about the other dozen or so fermenting/conditioning.

for bottle conditioning, i'm not sure it matters so much as long as its not super-hot... it will just take longer at lower temps. there might be some slight nuances, but i don't have the pallet to determine what a 4 degree difference in bottle conditioning has done to my brews.

Joe

+1:mug:
First RDWHAHB. The beer will be fine. Take a gravity reading for the next three days. If it doesnt change then go ahead and bottle. Conditioning is usually room temp or 65*-75*F. For around a week, more for higher gravity beers. Store in a constant (or close to the coolest, darkest) place in your home.

Back