Using Oak, good idea or bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
Hey all

I recently brewed an Irish Red. Basically the one out of brewing classic styles, but I used 300grams of crystal 60L (since thats all my LHBS had) rather then smaller amounts of 40L and 120L. The rest was spot on. For thsoe that don't ahve the book it's basically 2row/pale LME, with small smounts of crystal as mentioned and a bit of roasted barley. 1 addition of EKG for 60mins and WLP004 irish ale.

After tasting a hydrometer sample, it was a bit roasty. not astringent just kinda toasty. I was thinking of splitting the batch when i go to secondary and adding some oak to one half. problem is I have no experience with oak amount and no idea if that will work well.

Any advice on the use, and flavour profiles of various oaks would be great!

Oak can overwhelm a lighter beer, so you need to think about that. If you choose to go with it, your choice is oak cubes or oak chips. I've only used chips. Cubes take a lot longer (but are supposedly better).

With chips, leave the beer on them for something like 1-2 weeks using 1-2 ounces. I don't know if this is the exact amount/duration, but it's in the ballpark. Don't leave beer on chips for months.

Back