Turkeyfoot Brewery - English Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
30.3 IBU
Color
19.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 70F
Tasting Notes
Sample at kegging tasted great, slight hop flavor that\'s probably out of style.
11lb. Briess 2-row
2.5lb. Crystal 90L
0.5lb Chocolate
1.5oz. Williamette 4.3% AA, 60 minutes
2oz. Williamette 4.3% AA, 30 minutes
2 tsp. Irish Moss, 15 minutes
2 packages Nottingham

Let me start by thanking Orfy, this recipe is based off of his Mild Mannered Brown Ale using ingredients that I had available.

The IBUs are a little high for a mild, these numbers are from BeerSmith, but the hops I had were a little old and I wasn't sure how viable they still were. At this point I've only tasted a sample as it was going into the keg and there's definitely a hop flavor when you first take a sip but it quickly subsides into malty goodness. Still though, next time I will probably cut the hops back by 0.5-1oz.

The OG was also a bit higher than I expected, first time that's happened for me.

My MLT is just a 5G round cooler so I went with a 1:1 ratio for the mash, mashed at 152F for 60 minutes. I used 11G of water for my sparge. Due to the volume I could support I ended up with 4 fairly even runnings, around 2.5G each, and then a final run where I collected just 1G. Next time around I'm going to try and do a mashout with that one gallon, assuming I can fit it, and then sparge as I did here filling the MLT to capacity each time. I ended up collecting @12G which I boiled down to @10G and with the loss to hop trub I ended up collecting 9G into the fermenters.

After 1 week I racked into a secondary and after 2 weeks I kegged it which is where it's at now. I plan to wait 3 weeks, if I can, before I pull a pint. The sample I had as it was being kegged tasted FANTASTIC so I'll see how long I can hold out.

Back