Dry Hop Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest ale on Friday night. I have a half ounce of Liberty left over and was considering dryhopping with it. Should I dry hop or leave it out? I'm only thinking of using the half ounce that I have leftover from brewing. Recipe below (note that I substituted Liberty as my LHBS didn't have Hallertau in stock)

“Oktoberfest” Ale

3.3lb Amber LME
3.3lb Extra Light LME
0.5lb Crystal 80L
0.5lb Munich (8L)
0.5lb Pale Malt (standard 2-row)
0.25lb Chocolate Malt
1oz Hallertau pellets -60min
1oz Hallertau pellets -15min
0.5oz Halertau pellets -2min
2tsp Irish Moss
Yeast= German Alt yeast

Cheers

If it were mine I would skip the dry hop. But it's your beer. ;) You could try splitting the batch and dry hopping half, that would be a fun experiment!

I tend to agree and I have been leaning against dry dryhopping. Still thinking about it thought...it's only a half ounce so it isn't likely to make a large difference.

An octoberfest should not have any hop aroma/taste, just malty IMO. So if you want to keep the traditional octoberfest then no, but by all means I'm sure it would be good. Just not an octoberfest...maybe you will create a new style of beer!

So if you want to keep the traditional octoberfest then no, but by all means I'm sure it would be good. Just not an octoberfest...maybe you will create a new style of beer!
Like a Hoptoberfest perhaps?!? :D

I'm with them - I'd stick to no-dry-hopping to get the "true" malty caramely toffeey Oktoberfest goodness.

You could use that 1/2 oz to go a long way in a low-hopped Wheat or something! Tuck it in the freezer, I say.

+4 on the no dry hop for an Oktoberfest. Most are hopped with very light AA noble German hops to begin with.

Thanks for the input everyone. Think I'll skip the dryhop as originally planned.

An octoberfest should not have any hop aroma/taste, just malty IMO. So if you want to keep the traditional octoberfest then no, but by all means I'm sure it would be good. Just not an octoberfest...maybe you will create a new style of beer!

Agree. an oktoberfest is more about the malts and a dry-ish finish...not hop flavors or aromas.

Back