Puzzled by SG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorhick

Reaction score
So I am a little confused about my FG reading on a brew I am trying for the second time. Original recipe called for 5lbs plain extra light DME, on second round I bumped this up to 6lbs of DME in an effort to increase ABV%.

First Round: OG 1.050, FG 1.010 ABV 5.25%
Second Round: OG 1.052, FG 1.014 ABV 4.98%

Rest of Recipe:
.5lb crystal malt 20

Alot of factors affect fermentation, perhaps your yeast attenuation is just slightly different this time around.

the logic is mostly right. more fermentables = more potential alcohol. but if the yeast did not attenuate as well as last time then it could be the same or less. see how much higher your FG is the second time? another thing to think about (which you may have seen on other posts) is it can sometimes be hard to get an acurate reading with extract, because it may not be mixed well enough. so maybe your OG was higher and you didnt know it (i didn't do any of the math to know what your theoretical OG would be)

Back