First recipe attempt, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
Going for an American Wheat, trying to get between 40-50% wheat in the recipe.

Trying to keep the hoppiness down enough for SWMBO, but keep enough that it will have some flavor.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ingredients for 5 gallon batch (partial mash)

4 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (1.5 SRM) Extract (40% wheat)
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.80 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
0.20 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.92 %
Bitterness: 18.1 IBU Calories: 222 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.0 SRM

i know some people are fine with non-wheat yeast for an american wheat but i say get a yeast that is specifically for wheats, it'll bring out the flavor more, and seeing as you are going through the trouble with the partial mash, bring some wheat yeast to the party?

1# seems like too much carapils to me. The wheat flakes should add enough body and mouthfeel. I would drop it, but if you want to keep some maybe reduce the quantity to .5# or less.

SRFeldman79 said:
i know some people are fine with non-wheat yeast for an american wheat but i say get a yeast that is specifically for wheats, it'll bring out the flavor more, and seeing as you are going through the trouble with the partial mash, bring some wheat yeast to the party?

Will the wheat yeast impart any ester or phenol flavors as it does in a hefe? I am really going for a crisp wheat flavor (I don't like hefes). A little citrus is fine, but no banana or clove.

What do you think?

I was going to say, that recipe would end up pretty 'bland' IMO with the S-05 yeast and no spices (corriander, orange, lemongrass) that could sometimes be used in American Wheats.

If you are going to brew it just as you state, I'd try to use the liquid American Hefeweizen yeast... it will give you a little complexity.

Further, are you sure you want to use 2lb. flaked wheat? Never used it, but doesn't that require a cereal mash? It definitely at least requires being mashed, which is fine if thats what you intend to do, steeping it isn't going to do much...

For simplicity's sake you could just use ~6lb. wheat extract if you are brewing with extract anyway. This is already about 55/45 of 60/40 wheat/pale mix and you won't need to mess with mashing flaked wheat, etc. Steeping a little (1/2lb or so) crystal 20L or something for 30-45 mins at 150 probably is a good idea though...

EDIT: If brewed at higher temps the American Hefe yeast would give you some banana-clove, but I see you don't like that now... I was too late. If you kept the temp low on the ferment they should be pretty mild though. There may be a better yeast choice though, still. The S-05 is going to make a clean, crisp beer, but I fear it's not going to be very complex or have much flavor... You seem to be looking for something flavorful and IMO a wheat, with 15IBU of hops, and S-05 yeast is definitely light and refreshing, but not very complex/flavorable/tasty... Just my opinion though... If I brew a wheat with S-05 now, I hop it up a little more, maybe 25IBU of hops... Amarillo would be great and give you some citrus kick.

As far as yeast goes...

Jamil recommends using a Kolsh yeast for american wheats.....I know thats what St. Arnolds does as well.

Good luck!
:mug:

All very good information................. What about the vanguard hops? Is it an OK choice?

OK, i've put together some of your advice. My 2nd attempt is below

6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (1.5 SRM) Extract
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
0.80 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
0.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.33 %
Bitterness: 17.6 IBU Calories: 222 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.0 SRM

I'd like to have something close to a Boulevard Wheat. If you are familiar with it, let me know what you think. (Will it be close?)

Skip the carapils completely. You don't need it in a wheat beer.

If you still want to use dry yeast, Safale K-97 isn't a bad choice for an American wheat.

I'd use a milder hop as well - something like Hallertau or Tettnang.

Yuri_Rage said:
Skip the carapils completely. You don't need it in a wheat beer.

If you still want to use dry yeast, Safale K-97 isn't a bad choice for an American wheat.

I'd use a milder hop as well - something like Hallertau or Tettnang.

10-4 on the carapils. What about my original choice of vanguard hops? I've read its a like the hallertau and even more important, AHS isnt sold out of it!

Boulevard lists Magnum and Simcoe as the hops in their Wheat. In that case, Cascade as a bittering hop will be fine, but you'll really want to get some Simcoe for the flavor addition. No other hop gives that Simcoe character. Use only about 1/2 oz of Simcoe at 5 minutes to keep the flavor mild.

EDIT:
I was thinking of a more traditional wheat beer when I mentioned the Hallertau/Tettnang. After reading about Vanguard, it looks to be a fine substitute for Hallertau or other mild, noble hops. However, the above advice is targeted toward your comments about Boulevard Wheat.

Biermuncher has a boulevard wheat 'clone' I think in the recipe database? Might want to look there for some clues as well...

EDIT: So you dont have to go look. Here's his hopping schedule for 17-18IBU:

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Simco Hops [12.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)

He also used S-05...

I have nothing to contribute but sympathy -- I, too, was trying to create a wheat clone for SWMBO (in this case, In Heat Wheat from Flying Dog), and completely botched it. I made a very bad yeast choice, and ended up with something that tasted more like a Belgian Weiss than an American Wheat.

Which is not the end of the world -- I like Belgians, so I'll drink it. But my ploy to bribe the wife for more brewing time failed miserably.

i was just going to suggest the Wyeast 1010, i'm planning on using that in my upcoming summer wheat.

SRFeldman79 said:
i was just going to suggest the Wyeast 1010, i'm planning on using that in my upcoming summer wheat.

1010 sounds like a good choice:

YEAST STRAIN: 1010 | American Wheat™

A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable.

Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

RoaringBrewer said:
Biermuncher has a boulevard wheat 'clone' I think in the recipe database? Might want to look there for some clues as well...

EDIT: So you dont have to go look. Here's his hopping schedule for 17-18IBU:

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Simco Hops [12.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)

He also used S-05...

I have seen his recipe, which is rougly where I started from. Especially his choice of the S-05, because he states that he intentionally stayed away from a definitive wheat yeast.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Back