next step after brewing with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysterio

Reaction score
I've been brewing with extracts for a couple of months now, and just started using a secondary fermenter.

What should I be trying next? I'm still pretty much a beginner but I want to try something more fancy. Should I be steeping grains or something? Will I need extra equipment?

Any tips? I was put off by the 'howtobrew' site, made it sound pretty complex.

You can start steeping grains. Only extra equipment you will need is a bag to hold them grains. It's not that complicated. Think of it like you are making a HUGE cup of tea and it's just about identicle

Yup, time to start looking at specialty grains. Go give the howtobrew site another look. There should be a section about extract+grains, or mention of specialty grains. Easy stuff and allows you to make a whole range of beers.

I would say the easiest next step would be a extract/grain combo kit.
I just brewed my second batch, and I used one of these to move on to the second step. That way I didn't have to worry about finding the right stuff myself. It came with the grain bag.
One extra step (Steeping the grains), but otherwise just as easy as all extract.
Go for it, it was easy!

Your next step after specialty grains can be mini-mashing. If you're doing 5 gallon batches and have a bottling bucket then all you'll need is the nylon grain bag that fits in the bucket. This works very well before moving into larger insulated mashing vessels.

Wild

I steeped grains next. Seems to be suggested by many here as well, however it does not have to be. Many people are just happy as a clam with staying with just extracts. Perhaps your next step could be changing hop varieties, or getting better at documenting, or going crazy with a web camera like our friend orfy here or perhaps you see that howtobrew sites are intimidating and want to create your own site that beginners wont feel intimidated with. As far as being put off the a "Howtobrew" site just see everything as information. Everytime you read something you absorb what you can and leave the rest. Outside of sanitary reasons why a beer fails, whatever you do will be GREAT! Simply put, brewing beer can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be:) Relax, have a homebrew and keep on reading. Your "next step" will be the first thing that catches your eye:)

I brewed a kit of partial extract that came with my garage sale purchase of buckets, hdrometer, et al. More than a year later, I wanted to try again, so I started looking for recipes, and studying brewing. After another year on the net, I tried my first AG. 3 years between my first two batches. Lots of mistakes in my first AG, but it sure was drinkable. Since than, I've done a batch per month. I'd say, go at your own pace, but don't be shy about extending your limits. Every batch will be good beer- if you allow long enough conditioning.

i would definitley steep some specialty grains. you dont need nothin' but a bag and some grains...and perhaps a thermometer, and a clock...

I did steeping on my 2nd brew and the difference was clearly evident. Of course I had better ingredients as well. I am now wondering how much of a quality difference between steeping and mini mash. I just don't have the room nor experience for AG.

I'm in about the same boat as you mysterio and I'm starting mini mashes the instant I get home (I'm outta town.) That is only so I can satiate the hunger until I can get my shizzle together to go all grain this summer. This is mostly because of all the doofuses (doofii?) on this sight helping everyone and being generally nice. Damn you all!!!! ;)

Cheyco said:
This is mostly because of all the doofuses (doofii?) on this sight helping everyone and being generally nice. Damn you all!!!! ;)

Yeah! F*ck all of you helpful b*stards!

:D

-walker

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I love this bit of direction from Palmer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To help get your creative juices flowing, here is a rough approximation of the recipes for the common ale styles:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pale Ale - base malt plus a half pound of caramel malt,
Amber Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of dark caramel malt,
Brown Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt
Porter - amber ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt,
Stout - porter plus a half pound of roast barley.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

The step from steeping to mini-mash is mainly so you can use adjunct grains that don't steep well. I do them like a big steep. I have a wine bag that is bigger than the brew kettle. I just mash the grain with the bag in the kettle, then fill the kettle with hot water, stir and remove the bag. Add extract & boil.

Where to go next is largely (well, entirely) up to you.

If your ultimate goal is AG the only thing I really see extract plus grains buying you is some experience with different types of grains and what they contribute plus time to get the equipment together. You'll learn plenty about grain contributions in your first few AG batches.

If you don't really have an ultimate goal and are just enjoying the ride of homebrewing I'd do extract plus grains and see if it scratches your itch before taking the more drastic path of AG.

Back