volume vs. time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
so.....I did my secong AG batch. I paid more attention to gravities and volumes this time. I used BrewPal for my volumes.

Recipe: 6.4 lb. 2 Row
1 lb. rice hulls
4 lb. white wheat
1.25 60L crystal
0.33 lb. roasted barley
0.84 lb. amber

mashed with 5.2 gallons water, sparged with 3.8 gallons. yielded 7 gallons wort. The recipe only predicted 6.67 gallons to boil for 60 min. down to 5.25. I ended up with 7 gallons that boiled down to 5.75. should I have boiled longer to get to 5.25 or do the 60min. boil and the volume is what it is or only boiled 6.67(ish) of the 7 gallons and discarded the rest?

I never discard wort! I either get less to begin with (and once you know your system you can simply tweak it to get the correct amount) or save it by boiling it and freezing it for starters! But once you nail down your exact system, you won't overshoot your volume anymore. Don't sweat it for now.

Damn that's a great idea to bottle and freeze I'm doing that next time instead of over filling my carboy thanks

How does knowing my system prevent me from overshooting volumes? Because I will decrease my mash and sparge volumes? So I should have just boiled the 6.67 for 60 minutes and saved the rest of the wort? Thanks!

yep, that's exactly what she's saying. you'll learn exactly what your system needs to hit your target batch ( 5 gallons or whatever), and no more. in the meantime, the rest can be frozen, and used for starters on the next batch you brew

Latest posts

Back