question on adding more extract to a muntons canned kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdbrew

Reaction score
I just started brewing - made a malt extract kit from midwestern brew company..it comes with a half gallon malt, specialty grains..and hops.

So i went to my local hole in the wall brewers shop and wanted a wheat beer and picked up a Muntons canned wheat beer kit shown here.

I found it strange that its kinda instant..no hops or specialty grains etc ..its a quick brew. The owner suggested I needed a little extra wheat malt for this kit. I opened the can just now though it says and it says it makes 6 gallons.

Is it no big deal to add 32oz extract to my boil?

Hopefully munton's tastes good...i think ill stick to midwestern though since they come with grains/hops... Or switch to all grain.

Going to make a cherry wheat brew with it and see what happens.

you can certainly add extract to your boil, but it will affect your gravity (which may be OK with you). it looks like your target gravity is between 1040 and 1044, which is fine, but if you want to bump it up, add some more extract. 32 oz seems excessive to me.

I found it strange that its kinda instant..no hops or specialty grains etc ..its a quick brew. The owner suggested I needed a little extra wheat malt for this kit. I opened the can just now though it says and it says it makes 6 gallons.

Is it no big deal to add 32oz extract to my boil?

Hopefully munton's tastes good...i think ill stick to midwestern though since they come with grains/hops... Or switch to all grain.

those are two different kinds of kits. one is a partial grain and one is a concentrate, probably "no boil" kit. the no boil ones are basically already to add water and ferment.
i haven't used them, but i suspect that the more work you do on your brews, the better they will be.
however, i have been making "Brewer's Best" PG kits for a couple years and have had good luck with them.

I spoke to someone who knew more about the muntons kits.

He said the general muntons canned kits say you can go up to 6 gallons with 1 can...but you'd end up with a beer thats only around 3% abv..if that.

That's why he sold me the extra malt, kick it up to normal abv.

when I first started I added extra stuff to all my brews..do what you want, its your brew. and a good way to learn. trial by fire. the deep end of the pool is always more fun.:rockin:

Back