Can you leave the batch in the fermenter too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will95gt

Reaction score
I have a basic brew kit that i bought from midwest supplies. I've made two successful batches so far and am working on a third! I pitched the yeast around a month ago and its still sitting in my closet-- it should be ready for bottling.

The problem is that I only have about 30 spare bottles and its a 50 or so bottle batch (five gallons). I don't feel like going to the store and buying/drinking 20 import beers myself in the next week so I'm thinking about just ordering some bottles.

Is it possible to leave the batch in the fermenter for too long? Should I just bottle the thirty I currently have while they're still good or is it ok to wait for reserve bottles to come in before bottling it all?

Thanks guys,

-Will

You can leave you beer in the primary too long, however, 4 to 6 weeks isn't it. You would have to leave it in for months with unstable temperatures for anything to happen. I'm not sure how long is too long but I went 3 months with a carboy in my basement this summer and the beer tastes great.

Back