Starter vs. Extra Smackpack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A change in plans has me brewing an Oktoberfest this Sunday. As i haven't put any attention into making a starter, for say WY2308, would pitching 2 packs be sufficient in cell count to treat a 5gal batch right?

Or, would it be advantageous of me to make a "superchareged" starter and pitch 2packs into a 2-3qt with intentions of using that sunday?

I'm just trying to deal with a short timeframe yet still have the cellcount i need.

you still have plenty of time to make a starter for sunday.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html has a nice calculator to figure out how much to make

You don't really need to make the starter more than 24 hours ahead of time unless you want to get the yeast to mostly floc out of the starter so you can get rid of most of the liquid before pitching.

With a yeast starter and some yeast nutrient, I had the fastest turnover on my stout that I've ever seen. I think it was more or less done fermenting in 2-3 days. Tastes fantastic too.

Back