Rubbermaid 58 Ct Cooler $9.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look like it has a drain? Might check on that, unless you are going to syphon your wort out of it. Course.... you may not even be thinking of Mashing in it? Guess I shouldn't have assumed that!! Now I should just delete this whole post!!

worksnorth said:
Doesn't look like it has a drain? Might check on that, unless you are going to syphon your wort out of it. Course.... you may not even be thinking of Mashing in it? Guess I shouldn't have assumed that!! Now I should just delete this whole post!!

I am not sure if it has a drain or not. I figured that it is a good deal on a cooler. I'll leave it to people to decide if it is right for their needs.

Got mine yesterday.

Better to drill, or just use a dip-tube? That is, manifold on bottom, and elbow at end rising up to a point just shy of the lid.
When I'm done with the mash, I'll attach intake from pump and suck the liquor out.

Problems with this theory?

msabin said:
Got mine yesterday.

Better to drill, or just use a dip-tube? That is, manifold on bottom, and elbow at end rising up to a point just shy of the lid.
When I'm done with the mash, I'll attach intake from pump and suck the liquor out.

Problems with this theory?

I think that in the long run a ball valve will be simpler. You may run into issues with priming your pump and getting reliable extraction of the liquor. But the again, you could always give your theory a shot and drill a hole if it doesn't work out.

Why go through all that trouble when a simple ball valve and gravity will work just as well and leave you with less mess to clean up?

48 QT can limit the size of your mash, thus limiting the ability to make certain styles. I've know several who get a 48 QT cooler, just to hate themselves later when they can't make a barely wine or RIS.......Just something to consider.

planetscott said:
48 QT can limit the size of your mash, thus limiting the ability to make certain styles. I've know several who get a 48 QT cooler, just to hate themselves later when they can't make a barely wine or RIS.......Just something to consider.

12 gallons is more than enough for big beers.

Back