Chugger vs Little Giant my thoughts after having both

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNinja1

Reaction score
This is for people who are wondering which one is better, the Little Giant 3-MD-HC or the chugger. I will first start off saying both work great and push close to the same amount of liquid. I started off with just the little giant (**LG from now on**), and read a lot about people having problems priming etc. I have never had an issue priming my LG. Even when doing things I really shouldnt, it primes almost every time on its own. Bunch of air in the hose, no problem (may take a few quick on/offs to get it to flow, but thats it). I have really enjoyed using it.

Fast forward and I recently added a chugger pump so I dont have to do so many hose changes. I have read a lot of positive reviews, so being $75 cheaper, and coming with a stainless head, I bought one. After using it a few times I have to say now I see where people are having problems. It seems I constantly have to futz with it to get it working right. It will not push through air in the line like the LG will. Also, I have a on/off valve on the output. When I close that, then open it back up, the pump will not continue to pump. It must have some air or something caught in the pump head, and it wont start pumping again until I turn it off then back on. Im not sure if its because of the difference between center inlet/side inlet or what, but the LG primes and holds it much better.

The biggest thing that makes the LG stand out against the chugger/march pump design in the ease of cleaning. 4 wing nuts and the pump head is off and you can clean it. For the chugger design, you have to take 4 screws off to get the head off, then 4 more screws off to get the head apart.

If you are on a budget, the chugger will definately get the job done. The fact that it has a stainless head is also really nice. However the Little Giant seems to be much more user friendly and overall a better pump (though it is to be expected at a much higher price tag).

In case someone else was on the fence, hopefully this helps :mug:

This is for people who are wondering which one is better, the Little Giant 3-MD-HC or the chugger. I will first start off saying both work great and push close to the same amount of liquid. I started off with just the little giant (**LG from now on**), and read a lot about people having problems priming etc. I have never had an issue priming my LG. Even when doing things I really shouldnt, it primes almost every time on its own. Bunch of air in the hose, no problem (may take a few quick on/offs to get it to flow, but thats it). I have really enjoyed using it.

Fast forward and I recently added a chugger pump so I dont have to do so many hose changes. I have read a lot of positive reviews, so being $75 cheaper, and coming with a stainless head, I bought one. After using it a few times I have to say now I see where people are having problems. It seems I constantly have to futz with it to get it working right. It will not push through air in the line like the LG will. Also, I have a on/off valve on the output. When I close that, then open it back up, the pump will not continue to pump. It must have some air or something caught in the pump head, and it wont start pumping again until I turn it off then back on. Im not sure if its because of the difference between center inlet/side inlet or what, but the LG primes and holds it much better.

The biggest thing that makes the LG stand out against the chugger/march pump design in the ease of cleaning. 4 wing nuts and the pump head is off and you can clean it. For the chugger design, you have to take 4 screws off to get the head off, then 4 more screws off to get the head apart.

If you are on a budget, the chugger will definately get the job done. The fact that it has a stainless head is also really nice. However the Little Giant seems to be much more user friendly and overall a better pump (though it is to be expected at a much higher price tag).

In case someone else was on the fence, hopefully this helps :mug:

+1 I bought an LG more than six years ago. It has performed flawlessly, required near zero maintenance and no problems at all with priming. I agree that removing the LG pump head is a breeze relative to the other popular pumps. Yes, the LG is priced a bit higher, but well worth it IMO.

You don't need to take the head off to clean a pump.

_

Unless it gets plugged up with debris that won't simply flush out. Been there. The point is that removing the LG pump head is much less of a hassle than with the competing pumps.

Unless it gets plugged up with debris that won't simply flush out. Been there. The point is that removing the LG pump head is much less of a hassle than with the competing pumps.

That's not the pumps fault, and we get you have a love affair with lg, you post in every single thread about them.:)

_

That's not the pumps fault, and we get you have a love affair with lg, you post in every single thread about them.:)

_

I never claimed that it was the pumps fault. That's all in your head. So what if I like my LG pump? Why do you give a rats ass what I think? I don't give a damn what you think, so I figure that puts us about even.

Back