Wondering if I pitched the wrong yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
Here is my recipe. I did the extract. LHBS does not sell Wyeast so they subbed with WLP005.

My OG was 1090 I made a starter 36 hours in advance. Is WLP 005 big enough for an OG this big?

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA Clone - AG
by HIGHGRAVITY » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:18 pm

90-Minute IPA clone (Dogfish Head) from BYO
(5 gallons/19L, all-grain)
OG = 1.088 FG = 1.021
IBU = 90 SRM = 13 ABV - 8.7%

Ingredients
16.5 lbs. Pilsner malt
1.66 lbs. amber malt (35 *L)
16 AAU Amarillo hops (90-0 mins)
(2.0 oz. of 8% alpha acids)
8.0 AAu Simcoe hops (90-0 mins)
(0.62 oz. of 13% alpha acids)
8.0 AAU Warrior hops (90-0 mins)
(0.53 oz. of 15% alpha acids)
1 oz. Amarillo hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops (dry hops)
0.5 oz. Warrior hops (dry hops)
1 tsp. Iriish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) yeast
.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Extract Option:
Replace Pilsner malt with 8.0 lbs. dried malt extract and 1.75 lbs. of Pilsner Malt. Steep crushed grains in 1.1 gallons (4 L) of water at 150 *F (66 *C) for 45 minutes. Follow the remaining instuctions in the all-grain recipe.

You may have under pitched if you just used one vial of yeast in a liter starter. You need ~3 bill yeast and one those vials is 100 bill. With a one liter starter you would have only made ~1.5 bill. A two liter starter would have made ~2 bill. I just made a 1.085 beer and made 2 one liter starters from two wyeast smack packs (1.5 bill a piece). If you just made it recently, I'd make another one liter starter with another vial and pitch it at high krausen (~18 hrs later). Or if you pitched a two liter starter just throw in a new vial by itself...IMO.

No. Starters are recommended with OG's over 1.060 and liquid yeast.
Which you said you did. by 36hrs I think you're number might be pretty good.
I thought it was more a matter of time and letting them multiply - and a lot of starter instructions say around 24hrs.

You may have under pitched if you just used one vial of yeast in a liter starter. You need ~3 bill yeast and one those vials is 100 bill. With a one liter starter you would have only made ~1.5 bill. A two liter starter would have made ~2 bill. I just made a 1.085 beer and made 2 one liter starters from two wyeast smack packs (1.5 bill a piece). If you just made it recently, I'd make another one liter starter with another vial and pitch it at high krausen (~18 hrs later). Or if you pitched a two liter starter just throw in a new vial by itself...IMO.

Thanks for the info. The problem I have is that my LHBS is closed today and Monday. Tuesday would be my next available time to get there. :(

OK - So, I'm an idiot. I've got two buckets next to each other fermenting. The 1014 was from my Two Hearted clone after 2 weeks. oops! So my gravity for the dogfish 90 after a 7 days is 1.024....still pretty good for an OG of 1.090, right? Especially after 7 days. I've got a feeling it will continue dropping as I've got a ton of brown yeast clusters on top! Recipe says i should be at 1.021 for FG.

I kept an actual temp of 66-68 during the first week.

Back