What should I drink in Mexico?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillibeerman

Reaction score
I am going to a resort in Playa del Carmen Mexico next week. I hope to spend the week sipping on cervesa's and frozen drinks. I think the beer selection is limited. I know Corona and Modelo Especial is on tap. Here is another list from this area:

Sol *
Negra Modelo
Modelo Especial
Tecate
Tecate Light
Superior *
Dos Equis Special Lager
Dos Equis Draft
Dos Equis Amber
Leon *
Montejo *
Victoria *
Corona

Any of the brands in red worth drinking. I have never heard of them.

I've never heard of those either- but in Mexico, my favorite drink is Michelada. It's basically chili peppers ground up with worchestershire and seasoned salt and tabasco and then they pour the beer into that. I've had that with Negra Modelo and it's awesome. Kind of like a spicy bloody mary in a way. If the beer isn't very good plain, you could always disguise it in a michelada.

Lorena

Micheladas rock...and there are lots of regional variations, but the one lorenae describes is probably my favorite. Try it with a lighter beer such as Sol or Pacifico as well.

I like Sol and Pacifico the best of all the 'light' beers. Leon is a good beer, not stellar, but good...kind of a classic Vienna lager. Victoria is also a nice Vienna lager.

Montejo is a Pilsner type beer produced by the makers of Leon and is also a solid, though not stellar, beer.

Superior is also a Pilsner type beer, and frankly I've only had it a few times and don't have much recollection one way or the other, though I'm sure I would order it over a Corona.

Pacifico!!!! definitely. Sol sucks, as so do Coronas and Tecate. Dos Equis is ok, but you need to go authentic while you are down there. Get a Pacifico, throw a lime wedge and a pinch of salt in there...mmmmmm

And be sure to drink lots of Patron Tequilla too.

Be careful, Montezuma doesnt like us Americans, and he'll get his revenge on you too

I like Bohemia.

If you go to Puerto Vallarta area, be sure to get to Agave Leyva distillery and buy as much as you bloody can! Best tequila in the world IMO.

Thank you. I am intrigued with the Michelada. It sounds like that will be my welcome drink! (I also have an aversion to Tequilla..yuk)

Chillibeerman said:
Thank you. I am intrigued with the Michelada. It sounds like that will be my welcome drink! (I also have an aversion to Tequilla..yuk)
Make sure you try at least one shot of good tequila while you are down there. As in from the region of Tequila (no offense towards distilleries in Puerto Vallarta or anywhere else, but they're not tequila). Padron, as mentioned, is excellent. I personally like Espolon.

Most of the tequila consumed in the US is only 51% blue agave and 49% "other" and frequently with coloring added to get the amber color as opposed to aging in barrels. That stuff is disgusting. Good tequila is available in the US, but most of us are so trained from our college Pepe Lopez days that we don't notice it or are unwilling to pay for it. Totally different animal.

When i was in Puerto Villarta a couple years ago the michelada that i had was Sol beer on ice with sours and a salted glass. Basically a beer-arita. very refreshing:mug:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Make sure you try at least one shot of good tequila!

Good tequila is available in the US, but most of us are so trained from our college Pepe Lopez days that we don't notice it or are unwilling to pay for it. Totally different animal.

Yes get the local Tequila each one is indigenes be safe and have fun..:rockin: :tank:

I have had good tequilla in the past. Unfortunately, my last experience with tequilla was a couple of cheap fifths of " Two Fingers" about 12 years ago. I spent about 8 hours vomiting and could never put it to my lips again. If I am feeeling mighty, I may give it a try and see what happens.

At first reading the thread title, I thought "Drink homebrew"

Beyond that I suggest Negra Modelo. I'm not that in the know about local tequila, so can't help there.

I've been rock climbing down in Hidalgo (near Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mx), and after a hard days climbing nothing beats a caguama de Sol! For those of you who haven't been introduced properly, a caguama is the Mexican contribution to the 40oz commonly know as the "fouty." Yum!

Marc.

Just got back from my trip to Mexico. I tried many of the beers that were offered there, but found very few that I liked. Victoria was probably my favorite. Compared to others it was a decent lager, but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that exciting.

I did, however, develop a taste for the Mitchelada. I drank plenty of them. I stayed away from the tequilla, but did enjoy a few Cohiba cigars. I would have liked to have brought a few home, but airport security was too tight yesterday to bring anything back. People who purchased bottles of liquor at the duty free shops were forced to leave them behind if they did not check them in. Quite a hassle, but better safe than sorry. It's good to be home. :)

Back