Great buy but not without issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatchinZs

Reaction score
I found a used Kenmore kegerator for $250. Thankyou Craigslist. :rockin:

The bad news is that it hasn't been used in a few years and the previous owner never cleaned the lines out. I'm trying to figure out how to best clean the lines.
It has what I think is the D type keg adaptor.

I'm going to convert this so that I can use cornelius ball type connectors but I want to be able to set it up so that I can convert back and forth between homebrew and BMC type kegs.

Any experience or advice?

Thanks all.

For cleaning I would use an acid line cleaner, there are a bunch of different brands. As far as switching between sankey and corny kegs, you can either move the lines from the barbs on the disconnects, which is a pain in the ass, or you might be able to use connectors that you can switch out the lines. I use ones made of plastic on my gas lines in case I want to hook up a counterflow bottle filler, you may be able to use them on your beer lines too - if they're air-tight, they're probably beer-tight.

Why don't you just replace the lines - you gotta order the corny disconnects anyway. I would also disassemble and clean the taps really well. It shouldn't take too much work.

what you will want to do is definitely change out the lines and use something like BLC (beer line cleaner, made by five star, i believe), follow their directions for soaking and cleaning, even with the new lines, because there will be stuff in the shank/faucet.

for the connectors, use flared connectors. replace the barb on the sankey coupler with a 1/4'' male flare, which can be bought at most homebrew shops. you will also want to get MFL disconnects for your soda kegs. this will allow you to change back and forth fairly easily.

Below is a link to a post where I built my adapters. I built mine out of pieces I had laying around, but others posted that there are quick connects available to do it and be able to change out your fittings faster and without tools.

You'll want some beer line cleaner for those lines..... I used to just clean mine with oxyclean, thought it was good enough. Bought some BLC once while buying supplies....(had to get the order above 59 bucks for free shipping) and ran that through them....You wouldn't believe how much gunk came out of 'em.

Allan

EDIT: Crap!! Forgot to post the link.... here ya go....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32989

You can buy an inline gas QD and just use it to exchange adaptors.

Thanks all.

I would like to replace the lines and start fresh but I can't seem to get the collar around the beer tower off. I took a quick look at it last night so I'll have to spend a little time with it to see if I can remove the tower to get the line out.

The sankey tap appears to connect to the fluid line with a crimped connection but I'll have to get some pics to show you what I mean. I'll try and take care of that tonight.

Thanks again.

JnJ said:
Usually the top of the tower comes off and you can access the lines there.

Thanks for the help.
I am fortunate to work close to home so I ran home for lunch and found that you are indeed correct.
I was able to remove the line from the tower and drop it down.

I'll do some more research about a setup that will allow for easy interchangeablility of keg types.

Thanks again all.

Do these look like the right parts for my conversion.

Beer Line Hose 3/16"
Air Line Hose 5/16"
1 x Easy Switch (Sankey to Cornelius Keg)
Basically a tailpiece with a MFL connector instead of a hose barb.
1 x FFL Fitting (1/4")
1 x MFL Liquid Disconnect (Ball Lock Keg)
1 x FFL Fitting (5/16")
1 x MFL Gas Disconnect (Ball Lock Keg)

Thanks for all the help.

Back