Northeast Tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepoopsmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some friends and I are about to fly up to the northeast together for a quick run around New England. We won't have a long time in each place, just enough time for a few drinks each night. Looking to maximize fun in a short period. Does anyone have any suggestions for the following places?!!

Friday 24 Aug: Plattburgh, NY

Saturday 25 Aug: Portsmouth, NH

Sunday 26 Aug: Bedford/Lexington, MA (Hanscom Field)

Ideas for brewpubs/microbreweries in the immediate areas?

TPS

For Portsmouth...

For drinks, Portsmouth Brewery on Market Street, and Coat of Arms on Fleet Street, hands down.

Street parking is kind of a bear on Saturdays, so park in the High-Hanover garage at, you guessed it, Hanover @ High. The garage is across the street from CoA and a half-block from P.B.

If you have time for tours, check out Redhook (Saturdays 12:00-6:00pm, every hour on the hour) and Smuttynose (Saturdays at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm).

Throwback isn't in Portsmouth proper, but it's nearby. Good beer. Open on Saturday for samples from 1-4.

:mug:

The Alchemist is a must.

Are you driving from Florida? If so, when you're heading north through NY, you should stop at either Keegan's in Kingston or Brown's in Troy. Brown's is my favorite brewpub out of well over 50 that I've been to.

I agree with the itinerary above. There is a small microbrewery just outside of Manchester,NH called White Birch Brewing. I checked and they're not having brewery tours that day but the store is open. I've never been there, it seems like a small operation, but I have had a bunch of their brews. Could be a good pit stop before hitting Portsmouth which is a lot more fun.

Heading south from Portsmouth there's Newburyport and the north shore. That's scenic with a lot of good bars. I'd take route 133 south. There's even a distillery out in Gloucester, Cape Anne Brewing and Salem Beerworks.

I live a couple of towns over from Lexington. They roll up the sidewalk by ten in the area. There are a bunch of good restaurants on the main street heading to the Lexington Battlefield. They have a good selection on tap but you're so close to Boston I'd head into town. Wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to be downtown.

I know I didn't add much to the conversation but I'd have to say make sure you stop by the Alchemist or at least find some Heady Topper. I'd also add Maine Beer Co.'s Lunch IPA to be on the lookout for.

** There is the British Company out in Westford. It's a chain restaurant but they have a good beer/cider list. That's not too far from Lexington and is still out in the sticks with nothing around it. They have Heady Topper on menu but never in stock. Head into Boston!

EDIT: Mass Brewer's Fest on the 24th in Boston in case your dates change

http://www.ipswichalebrewery.com/

I'll have to second White Birch in Hooksett. Be sure to pick up something by Squam Brewing (NH). I enjoy Vermonster by Rock Art Brewery (VT). I'll also second Ipswich. I like their beers, but Clown Shoes is awesome!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm sorry I haven't responded earlier, but due to the impending hurricane, plans keep changing.

My friends and I literally flew up to the NE, as well as to all our destinations. Our PC-12 makes for a decent traveling machine, but we had adjust our final destinations a couple of days based on JET A+ gas prices.

We ended up in Manchester, NH instead of Plattsburgh. Manchester has a nice restaurant called Strange Brew...pretty nice! Blues band and some good brews as well.

We hit up Bangor, ME...the folk festival was in town while we were there. The food was good, but the demographics weren't for us. Seadog brewing was a disappointment all around...PM me if you want details, otherwise I would suggest the Reverend Noble or Nocturem. Nocturem had some great sour ales on draught!

Then we came down to Boston @ Hanscom Field. Stopped into SKipjack's for some seafood (Lobster Roll was Fantastic!!), then headed to The Gaff in Bedford/Lexington. This place is straight to the top of the list of all time bars. We got there too late for food, but the draught list was long, and I had only tried one beer off of it. Now i've had 5. I was extremely impressed with their friendliness, beer selection, and the beer sampler was (3) 6 oz samples for $8. Not bad for around here.

Due to the storm, we're flying down to Charleston today to wait out the hurricane. Any suggestions for Charleston!!??

Thanks again for everything y'all!

TPS

Back