Buying Bulk Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase like 5 specialty grains and some 2 row all in bulk and would like to purchase the more common grains for amber ales. If you had the chance what 5 specialty grains would you buy? I like pale ales and ambers and just want to get the stock of grains that would be most useful. The specialty grains I can buy in 50 lb(47 dollars) or 10 lb($15 dollars) and the two row I can get for $40 dollars for 50lb sacks. Give me some ideas please...

Thanks

I have the opportunity to purchase like 5 specialty grains and some 2 row all in bulk and would like to purchase the more common grains for amber ales. If you had the chance what 5 specialty grains would you buy? I like pale ales and ambers and just want to get the stock of grains that would be most useful. The specialty grains I can buy in 50 lb(47 dollars) or 10 lb($15 dollars) and the two row I can get for $40 dollars for 50lb sacks. Give me some ideas please...

Thanks

I would buy several bags of two row, that is what you will use the most, maybe a bag of c-60, that is what I use the most of in my pale ales, 50# of crystal will last a loooong time.

The only thing I buy in bulk is 2-row, but I do have a LHBS a few blocks from my house to buy my specialties at, so there is no need for me to keep a bunch of anything else around.

That is one of the problems is that my lhbs is 30 miles from my house so I want to get the grains and then go online to do yeast and hops as needed.

Just bought a 50lb sack of 2 row and 10lb of Carapils (I'm a serial over-carapils'er, and put this in everything I make).

I guess if I were in your spot, I'd second the suggestion of Cara-60. Then I'd go with 10lb chocolate and 10lb victory. That would be my top 5, and would keep me brewing for a very long time.

I would buy several sacks of two row, maybe one of either Vienna or lt. Munich. Crystal I would buy in 10lbs maybe c120, c60, c40,c20. You might look at biscuit, wheat, or carapils as well. These are the Malts I like that also give the most flexibility. I wouldn't worry about weevils, unless you don't Brew very often and/or can't keep it dry and cool. I used to work in kitchens that stored rice and grains and only those that sat a looong time ever get infested with weevils.

If I get c60 or c120 can't I use that for any recipe that calls for crystal (20,40,80) and just adjust the amount? Also with the Vienna, Munich, and say victory malts I can somewhat sub those for each other or no?

for color, but I think you will get some flavor change.

+1 the different crystal Malts have different caramel flavor

I personally like Munich better then Vienna I fiind it less grainy Imo. But their all pretty close you might want to side by side comparisons suck as steeping, chewing it up etc you,ll find they do have different qualities.

On the crystal malts 60 is pretty much middle of the road right? Also I would agree Munich and Vienna is a must after looking at several recipes they are both very commonly used.

i do 50/50 c60 c40 in my amber ale and 15-20% munich. i often use c20 / carapils in APA but 10 lbs of crystal malt is alot, the darker the crystal the less you use per batch, depending on what size batches an the type of beers you like to brew you might not want that much crystal, especially the darker ones. The only specialty grain that i buy in bulk is victory malt. i usually just go to the LHBS and buy 5lbs of crystal at a time and i am doing 10gal batches.

vienna and munich at least in my understanding considered base malts.

Edit: yes c60 is middle of the road, but as stated above i use less c60 then c40 and c20.

Back