Where did my bubbles go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
Just brewed an AG cream ale. Hit all the targets pitched a good yeast starter and showed life in an hour it two. Bubbled hard fir 36 hours and now it has stopped. I'll take a gravity reading over the next few days. Any thoughts? It is in my temp controled fermenter too.

Ps I sent this from my phone and there is no spell check.

Just because you don't see bubbles, doesn't mean it's not fermenting. There's a ton of reasons why you could stop seeing bubbles that have nothing to do with fermentation.

The OG was 1.038 of so. I won't fret but I will take a gravity reading or two.

I just checked the gravity and it was 1.020. Looked good and it tasted ok but the final flavor is a way off. I'll check the gravity again tomorrow then again when u get back from a little trip.

I just checked the gravity and it was 1.020. Looked good and it tasted ok but the final flavor is a way off. I'll check the gravity again tomorrow then again when u get back from a little trip.

Final flavor? The beer is less than 2 days old. It needs a lot more time to be judging flavor.

Yeah that is what I meant, the final flavor is a still a long way off not it is "way off" now. I just wanted to convey that is didn't taste bad or infected.

I just checked the gravity again and over the last 5 days there has been no change. It is still 1.020. I've had it at 67F and wondered what I might do to get it started again. Thanks.

I just checked the gravity again and over the last 5 days there has been no change. It is still 1.020. I've had it at 67F and wondered what I might do to get it started again. Thanks.

I'd wait at least 5 more days before doing anything. It's very young, and might drop a few more points. It also just might be done. Depending on recipe, mash temperature, yeast, etc, it just might be finished.

What was the recipe and mash schedule?

The krausen is gone and it was WLP 005. It is not in a carboy but it looks like it is clearing up. The yeast was started about 36 hours prior and was going strong when it was added too.

What was your mash temp? If you mashed high, there could be a lot of unfermentables there.

Most of my beers are not still bubbling after 36 hours. Especially if I am fermenting in a bucket. In a bucket sometimes they are only actively bubbling for 24 hours or so. By 36 hours the airlock is sitting in place with what appears to be no pressure.

I'm not sure if it is because there is more headspace in the bucket than in the carboy? or also that the lid is somewhat flexible but my beers appear a lot less active in buckets than in carboys.

However, I have not noticed any differences betweent the two as far as final gravity or taste goes.

I'd just stir up the yeast a bit and make sure the temps are proper for the yeast. My experience is that sometimes you just need to rouse them babies back up into the beer and they will kick in again. Of course you will have to wait a bit more for it to clear again, but it's still early.

The mash temp may have been to high. I don't have my notes here to check. The recipe did not have any mash details so I winged them. I tastes good so maybe I've just created a nice low alcohol. I've gently stirred it and I let it go for anther 4 or 5 days and see what we get. Thanks for all the input.

Back