S.G. & ABV issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlickWrist

Reaction score
Heylo,

I recently brewed up a batch of Cherry Stout using a Midwest Supplies kit. I decided to add a pound of real cherries, 6-8 oz. of brown sugar and 6-8 oz. of real, organic maple syrup to the primary fermentation container after roughly 36-48 hours of fermentation.

*I boiled and condensed the additional ingredients for approximately 30 minutes with just enough water to cover the cherries.*

While I neglected to take a new specific gravity reading, I am still hoping to be able to determine the alcohol content of the stout.

Stats:

S.G. before adding yeast for fermentation: 1.048
S.G. currently: 1.010 (~9 days after adding yeast, ~7 days after adding boiled down/ condensed solution of 1 lb. pitted cherries & 6-8 oz each of brown sugar and real, organic maple syrup).

Assuming fermentation in finished (temp ranged from 58-70F daily), is there any way I can determine the alcohol content? If anyone has a general idea of how the addition of those other ingredients into the fermentation container may have affected the alcohol content, please let me know!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Saludos,
~SlickWrist

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, the addition of syrup and brown sugar should yield the following.

0.5 lb (8 oz) brown sugar x 46 GPs = 23; 0.5 lb (8 oz) syrup x 30 GPs = 15

Total GPs before addition = 48 x 5 gal = 240

Total GPs after addition = 240 + 23 + 15 = 278/5 gal = 1.056

I don't know how many GPs the cherries will add and I don't know if there is a reliable way to determine that.

SJ,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your help!

Yes, it is a 5 gallon batch.

~SlickWrist

Back