11 Gallon batch of BM's Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
OK...so My first keg of BM's Centennial Blonde kicked way too fast (that is definitely a good thing). So, I want to make a double batch (11 gallon) but I'm not sure my equipment can handle it.

Can you guys let me know if I am OK:

Mash Tun: 52 QT (13 Gal.) Coleman Xtreme Cooler
Boil Kettle: 15 Gallon Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer
2x 6.5 Gallon Carboys

Here is the breakdown:

****10-Gallon Batch****
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)​
TIA for the help!

John

It's doable, but you'll have to carefully watch the boil kettle. Maybe try some Fermcap in the boil. Also keep a water misting bottle for spraying the kettle foam - it helps keep it down.

i put the numbers in beer smith and the tun volume recuired is 6.74 gallons with that grain bill so you should be fine

Everything looks OK to me, you'll just want to watch for boil overs. Fermcap or another foam control method is a good idea.

And keep in mind that moving a pot with 11 gallons of hot liquid in it is much harder than a pot with only 5.5 gallons in it.

Everything looks OK to me, you'll just want to watch for boil overs. Fermcap or another foam control method is a good idea.

And keep in mind that moving a pot with 11 gallons of hot liquid in it is much harder than a pot with only 5.5 gallons in it.

Moving?? Yeah, I'd be skipping that step. You'll want to chill in place and then split to your cornies.

Thanks guys.

I'm not so worried about cooling the wort since I brew in my garage right next to teh door and mornings are pretty damn chilly. Combine that with my IC and I think I should be fine. However, I am in the process of converting my IC to a CFC. I just need to order a weldless kit for my BK.

Moving...that ain't going to happen! LOL If my CFC is done in time, that will be a non-factor. If not, then I will just do what I normally due an ladle from the BK to the fermenter using a 2 qt. pitcher.

First time I have heard of Fermcap...I'll have to check my LHBS to see if they have it. But, I usually camp out near my BK anyway so I can keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it!

John

Moving...that ain't going to happen! LOL If my CFC is done in time, that will be a non-factor. If not, then I will just do what I normally due an ladle from the BK to the fermenter using a 2 qt. pitcher.

John

Auto-siphon is cheap. Mine has been rode hard and still makes the transfer process a breeze. :mug:

Latest posts

Back