Barleywine to Secondary - More Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Just moving my Barleywine to Secondary after two weeks. OG was 1.094 and the FG is at 1.019, and I wondered what the thoughts are about throwing some Pasteur champagne yeast in it to finish it out more. How many people do that?

Code:
Recipe: 017 "Wreck of the '99" Barleywine
Style: English Barleywine
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.098 SG
Estimated Color: 25.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
5 lbs         Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  29.41 %       
8 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        47.06 %       
2 lbs 12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        16.18 %       
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)    Grain        4.41 %        
8.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        2.94 %        
2.00 oz       Centennial [7.70 %]  (90 min)             Hops         38.2 IBU      
1.25 oz       Cascade [5.60 %]  (20 min)                Hops         9.8 IBU       
0.75 oz       Cascade [5.60 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.9 IBU       
1 Pkgs        British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098)           Yeast-Ale

Looks like you got over 78% attenuation so I'd say its done. No need to add champagne yeast to it. Rack it to secondary and forget about it for a while.

Of all the noob moves. I bottled my Cream Stout, brushed and rinsed the carboy out then racked the Barleywine straight in, completely forgetting to sanitize! I'm sure it'll be fine, since fresh beer was just in there, but I'll still fret about it.

The beer tastes hot with the alcohol but not terrible. However the Primary headspace gases smelled like Satan's anus! Nice big dried yeast krausen crust all over the lid.

Back