Controlling a boil with a PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I have read a lot of posts talking about operating an Electric Boil kettle using a PID in manual mode by adjusting the duty cycle up or down to control a boil. Why can't you just set the temp at 212 or a little higher, and let the PID do the work?

If you set it over 212 in an mlt, it will never shut off. Setting to manual and picking an output once you know your equipment is a better way to go if you want to boil.

That should read 'If you set it over the boiling point...'

Boiling is boiling. You can't control the temperature of a boil, simmer to full-rolling should be the same temperature. What you want to control is the rate of the boil.

That's sort of what I originally thought. A boil physically cannot be hotter than 212. Then why do I get different results with my analog thermo? At a 212 reading, I have a gentle boil, but I can crank my flame up for a vigorous boil, and then get a 215 to 220 reading. I do calibrate my thermo to ice water before I brew. Is my thermo just not accurate or am I missing something here?

Back