Lager starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supe_kitchen

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed on here, but I haven't looked and I figure it is easier to just ask. I have never used lager yeast before and I am making norther brewer's biere de garde and it comes with wyeast California lager yeast. It ferments 'steam' style around 63 F, but my question is when I make my starter is there anything special I have to do? I use a 2L flask on a stir plate for 48 hours and let the yeast drop for about a day. It is usually pretty warm and I am just wondering what (if anything) I need to do differently? Thanks for any help offered.

I do that normally also, just making sure there is nothing special to lager yeast starters versus ale yeast, thanks for the input.

Only thing I do different is make a huge starter. I start with a 2 liter one, decant, and add another 2 liters of wort. I've read that dyacetyl rests are less necessary if you have enough yeast to do the job in the first place.

Latest posts

Back