CO2 Leak!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch last weekend. Ball lock keg, quick disconnects. Brand new refill of CO2 set to 12 PSI for carbonating a batch of cider.

When I first hooked everything up, everything seemed fine. I even sprayed all of the connections with my StarSan sprayer to look for bubbles and leaks, and nothing.

HOWEVER, I check on it yesterday, and no pressue AND the CO2 is completely empty, so I had a leak somewhere.

Anyone have any good methods for finding CO2 leaks?

did you remeber to seal the corny at 30 psi and then drop it again? had the same problem with getting them to seal and i bet thats what it is. Slow leak

Nope, I sure didn't do that step! I'm sure that was my problem.....oh well, $14.00 down the drain for the CO2 refill, but at least I've learned my lesson! That's certainly a pretty inexpensive one!

I was not aware that you had to seal a corny at 30psi. I have been having some CO2 leaking issues, thought it was the lack of teflon tap on the cylider threads. I have not had an empty tank in two weeks so I though I fixed it.

First rack beer to keg, then seal it at 30 psi, then drop the regulator down to 12 psi. That seals it? Thanks

I was not aware that you had to seal a corny at 30psi. I have been having some CO2 leaking issues, thought it was the lack of teflon tap on the cylider threads. I have not had an empty tank in two weeks so I though I fixed it.

First rack beer to keg, then seal it at 30 psi, then drop the regulator down to 12 psi. That seals it? Thanks

put it up to 30 psi and it causes the seal around the lid to press firmly against the roof of the corny. Once it shapes to the lid (30 minutes-ish), i will drop the regulator down to serving pressure and vent the corny and then they seal. I had massive problems with mine until i started doing that and then no more. Teflon tape can help but they are made to be air tight WITHOUT the tape. If your threads are leaking thats most likly a different problem. You can try the starsan and look for bubbles and if they are coming out around the threads, try tape or see if the threads themselves are damaged. It should not be an issue though... Good luck:mug:

To make sure all your connections are good you can submerge manifold (if you have one) and gas connections in water. Look for bubbles. Worked for me on more than one occasion.

+1 on leaking corny lid.

The submerge in water trick is the best (not the regulator!). Second I recommend a bottle of leak detector from a welding supply store (under $10 and should last a lifetime for beer related stuff). StarSan works but sometimes the tendency to foam/bubble gives you a false reading and you waste time with it. I recently submerged my gas fittings at the check valve connection and found a leak that has been killing me slowly for two years, StarSan never showed it.

I sometimes submerge my tank and regulator to check for leaks. The regulator suffered no damage that I can detect and I've done this more than a few times.

The only thing in a typ kegging system that should be getting T-tape are pipe threads; like most outlet (or manifold) valve connections. There should be a gasket between the tank and reg, don't use T-tape there.

FWIW, I never seal my kegs at 30 psi and don't have problems but it couldn't hurt.

One way to check the entire system for leaks is to let everything stabilize/equalize, then close the tank valve and watch the high pressure gage. It should stay at that high pressure.

Also recheck the tank/reg connection periodically. That one can loosen up and drain a tank pretty quickly.

EDIT: I've done the same as Catt22 regarding submerging the reg and that old mid-90s reg still works fine. Just remember that there often is a weep hole in the reg dome and it will bubble as the dome fills with water (it's not a leak unless it never stops bubbling).

One way to check the entire system for leaks is to let everything stabilize/equalize, then close the tank valve and watch the high pressure gage. It should stay at that high pressure.

Unless you have a fresh keg on there, it'll absorb the CO2. With no keg on there and just the QDs I agree and have done that in the past to make sure my gas fittings were good before hooking up kegs.

Unless you have a fresh keg on there, it'll absorb the CO2. With no keg on there and just the QDs I agree and have done that in the past to make sure my gas fittings were good before hooking up kegs.
Yep, that's part of the 'stabilizing/equalizing' and you're right that it's important.

Back