I didn't sparge my grains, so it boiled during the entire brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HasstheBoss

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of homebrew ever. I'm a total amateur so I was just trying to go off of books and videos that I've seen online. My understanding now is that I should have removed the grains after the 30 min boil @ 160 degrees, but I thought that you left the grains in for the entire brew process.

I boiled the barley for 30 mins, added the malt extracts and brought to a rolling boil, then followed the hopping schedule for an hour. I chilled the beer to 80 degrees, filtered it into a clean 5 gallon carboy and pitched the yeast into it.

Did I make a big mistake by not sparging/removing the barley grains after the 30 min boil?

Any help is most appreciated.

thanks

Alton Brown did this on his Good Eats episode about homebrewing... I'd say you're going to be ok. It will still be beer. It may have an off flavor but probably not much. What was the quantity of grain in question?

How much grain did you boil? The grain husks contain tannins that do not get released until higher temps (180ish). You will likely have some tannins released in the beer due to boiling the husks. the PH level of the wort and the amount of grain boiled will be the ultimate determinant in whether or not your finished beer is "ruined". If there is a high degree of mouth-puckering astringency to your final product, this is what happened. At this point, I'd just go through the process and hope for the best. It may not turn out how you wanted, but it may still be drinkable.

I just brewed my first batch of homebrew ever. I'm a total amateur so I was just trying to go off of books and videos that I've seen online. My understanding now is that I should have removed the grains after the 30 min boil @ 160 degrees, but I thought that you left the grains in for the entire brew process.

I boiled the barley for 30 mins, added the malt extracts and brought to a rolling boil, then followed the hopping schedule for an hour. I chilled the beer to 80 degrees, filtered it into a clean 5 gallon carboy and pitched the yeast into it.

Did I make a big mistake by not sparging/removing the barley grains after the 30 min boil?

Any help is most appreciated.

thanks

Well, welcome to the best hobby ever. Anyway, do not let your first few errors dissuade you from trying again. I noticed that you said you 'boiled' for 30 minutes @ 160. You really should refer to that as 'mashed', which is the same as 'soaked', neither of which are 'boilied'. I am definately not being nitpicky, my point is if you use the word boil then you will definately get confused later on. Your boil comes after removing the water from the grains (or the grains from the water:drunk:). I would definately read the previous posters website link to John Palmers online book. Althought, you seem to have a good understanding of your 60 minute hop schedule. Good job there.

I hope that helps, good job no a first try it will probably taste fine! :mug:

also using a 5 gal carboy for primary fermentation may make a mess. Make sure you use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

Yes

Did it ruin the beer?

Probably not. The biggest concern in boiling grain is tannins, so if the wort does not taste like black tea already, don't worry.

Well, welcome to the best hobby ever. Anyway, do not let your first few errors dissuade you from trying again. I noticed that you said you 'boiled' for 30 minutes @ 160. You really should refer to that as 'mashed', which is the same as 'soaked', neither of which are 'boilied'. I am definately not being nitpicky, my point is if you use the word boil then you will definately get confused later on. Your boil comes after removing the water from the grains (or the grains from the water:drunk:). I would definately read the previous posters website link to John Palmers online book. Althought, you seem to have a good understanding of your 60 minute hop schedule. Good job there.

Well, being that he added extract later, it's quite possible that what he did here was "steep" his grains, not "mash" them for 30 minutes. Not being nitpicky! ;) :mug:

I made a GF beer for my girlfriend. Having never used extract, I made the mistake of boiling grains. I can tell that there is an off flavor, but it is still drinkable and she doesn't remember what "real" beer tastes like, so there are no complaints.

You also will not want to tell people that mashing is the same as steeping. Steeping is = to soaking and done with specialty grains. Color and flavor is all that is extracted
Mashing is done with base malts to extract fermentable sugars necessary for All Grain Brewing. Mashing is done between 148-158 degrees depending on the desired beer.

To the OP Try again, don't let your goofs get you down, it'll most likely still be drinkable and you've learned from it.

Thanks for all the replies. It's really awesome that this on-line community is so well established with knowledgeable people.

"I'm concerned about our beer supply. After this case, and the next case, there's only one case left!"

-Barney Gumble

been there done that before. Beer came out fine. Maybe a bit more bitter/tannin tasting than usual..but honestly i couldn't really tell.

Back