Can I use Whole Oats....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyed

Reaction score
..to try and calibrate a mill for all grain?

Last night my BIL brought over 2 industrial coffee grinders. These things are hoss'(they have 3/4 hp motors!), and greatly adjustable. We took them apart last night. And I am pretty sure that at least one of them will work. They have different internal parts. One has tapered grooves to grind, while the other has tapered triangular protrusions. I will try and get a picture of them when I get home.

Basically, just want to know if I can get an idea with just buying a cheap bag of oats from the feed store instead of using malted grains.

Thanks

Really? Did not know that. What is the main difference?
Well, not going to make an 80 mile round trip to the brew store to buy grain that I will trash until I get it fine tuned.

Can someone show me a picture of a good crush?

Thanks

..to try and calibrate a mill for all grain?

Last night my BIL brought over 2 industrial coffee grinders. These things are hoss'(they have 3/4 hp motors!), and greatly adjustable. We took them apart last night. And I am pretty sure that at least one of them will work. They have different internal parts. One has tapered grooves to grind, while the other has tapered triangular protrusions. I will try and get a picture of them when I get home.

Basically, just want to know if I can get an idea with just buying a cheap bag of oats from the feed store instead of using malted grains.

Thanks

You can use some oats as an adjunct but you cannot use it to replace malted barley. Raw, unmalted oats will need to be cooked with a cereal mash and then added to the main mash. You might want to start out with a 5-10% oat addition and see how that works.

I think you just need to sacrifice a couple of pounds of malt in the interests of advancement. Post pics of your crush and you will get no end of opinions! :)

ok, thanks guys.
And just for the record, I am not using the ost to bre with, just trying to dial in and see if these "grinders" can be tuned to crush. I have good feeling about one, but may have to find a way to slow the motor down. Havent pulled the motor to see what the wiring diagram looks like yet. I am on my phone, so cant post pics. These will take some modding, as now the motors are on timers to only grind a pots worth of beans at a time. but that is an easy fix. And the solenoids on the hopper will have to be removed.

again, thanks for the comments, and keep the ideas coming.

basically whole oats are real flat n thin. barley looks like a football that got elongated (kinda like grains of rice, but with a husk, etc).

milled grain is good for a while, so its not like you're wasting anything (unless it turns the grain into dust). just try to brew with it within 30 days and you shouldn't notice any problems.

Ok, thanks again. I thought whole oats were football shaped, just a little more tapered. But has been a coons age since I used to have a horse. I am talking from a feed store, not grocery. I guess I will make the long haul over there tomorrow.. Knowing good and well I wont be able to reframe from buying another batch. Gotta make the trip worth while.

Latest posts

Back