I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT! (Candi Syrup)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I had tried the methods people were using to make candi syrup at home with no success in duplicating anything even close to the stuff Dark Candi and similar companies were producing. So many people on the forum swore up and down they duplicated it by just caramelizing sugars. I know from many personal experiences that what they (along with my attempts) were producing was not anything like D or D2. I knew there was something missing from the process but I never figured it out.

I find this, http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2012/02/candy-syrup-right-way-hint-weve-been.html in my news feed from one of my fav blogs and I think he has figured it out. I have not tried it yet myself but I trust that if I get evn close to the descriptions he provides I will be utterly satisfied. I think he has figured out just how to make professional quality candi syrup!

This is a must read for anyone who loves to make Belgians or candi syrup users in general.

Wow huge props to the blogger who documented all that work. I love Belgians but yea -- the price of the syrup is a real turn-off.

thanks for spreading the link!

Now you just gotta try it for yourself and see how good it is!!

I gotta wonder why I never had problems with Snick's method? Seems like others didn't either.

Ive tried it that way, but it doesnt come close to d or d2. In fact adding acid to the sugar syrup actually inhibits the maillard reactions that result in all the great flavors we want. An elevated pH on the other hand promotes maillard and caramelization reactions while all but stopping the pyrolysis that leads to burnt sugar flavors

Back