I love Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
I brewed an ESB 4 days ago, and this is my first time with the 1968 strain. What it's done in four days beats any yeast I've ever brewed with. It's brought the gravity from 1.060 down to 1.015 and completely cleared. I took a sample and it is crystal clear beer. A little green tasting yes, but 4 days in... I'm blown away by this strain and highly recommend using it. my grain bill was

11 lbs MO
10 oz. carastan
1 oz chocolate
mash temp 153

I fermented at 65C ambient and have now brought it up to 68 for a diacatyl rest. When should I bottle this sucker? I'm feeling 2-3 weeks total in primary and then straight to bottles.

I also love this yeast for an ESB but it seems to be pretty temperamental. I wish it was a little more consistent but otherwise it's great. I usually give this yeast 2 weeks in primary and then check FG. If it's done bottle up condition and enjoy.

I just pitched a Janet's Brown-esque onto a 1968 cake from a 1.042 beer.

1.070 to 1.011 in 4 days. And the hydro sample tastes GREAT!

I'm liking this yeast.

I agree that it is tempermental... For some reason its the only yeast that has given me a dumper and a stuck fermentation.

I've been using that strain a lot and I love it. It has a very distinct flavor that is delicious.

Well I just did an ESB on Saturday and it's plugging away now. Haven't tried this yeast before but I hear it's pretty close to what Lagunitas uses. I'm hopeful that it will be as successful as you all are saying it will be.

bwomp313 said:
I've been using that strain a lot and I love it. It has a very distinct flavor that is delicious.

This! Three beers in a row = lots of washed yeast. It's clean, fast, and clears well with a great hint of flavor. Gonna try it on an APA, I think.

According the the all knowing internet, wyeast 1968 = WLP 002 = US-04. I have used us04 a number of times with very good results but have never done a comparison between the 3.

According the the all knowing internet, wyeast 1968 = WLP 002 = US-04. I have used us04 a number of times with very good results but have never done a comparison between the 3.

WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 are the Fuller's strain. US04 is very different.

A few tips for this yeast. Pitch a large amount of yeast at low temp (64-65F), aerate well, and don't let it ferment much higher than 70F. This yeast also has a tendency to become re-activated in the bottle and can lead to to overcarbed bottles and off flavors. Just make sure you ferment it out before bottling. Rouse the yeast a bit if necessary.

I pitched 1968 into the Brewing Classic Styles ESB this morning. The yeast starter was fun to watch after it was finished. First time trying this yeast.

BCSESBYeast_Pic1.jpg

WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 are the Fuller's strain. US04 is very different.

Yes my mistake, I went re-looking through some other threads, us-04 is more similar to Wyeast 1099/wlp002. i rarely use Wyeast and often mix up their numbers.

Back