PDB experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolidayIF1488

Reaction score
In a post the other day the potato dextrose broth was brought up by a wiki link. Me being intrigued by the growth of yeast I had to try it and did a small experiment. Of which I will share the outcome for those interested.
To make the broth you slice un peeled potatoes in to thin chips. Rinse,then boil in about a liter of water. After the boil you decant or as I did strain through cheese cloth. Then cool. It then tells you to add distilled water to make a liter. Instead of adding the distilled water to it I measured the amount it would take put it in a pot added my DME (1/2cup)and yeast nutrient(1/2tsp)boiled and proceeded to make my starter. When both were cooled I mixed them in my flask and to make this a real experiment I only used about 1/8 of a white labs ale yeast. This way I could see how well it multiplies and still use the rest in another starter just in case.
The results so far are very good. It's been almost 48hrs and the PDB starter has about the same amount of yeast as the other starter it appears,and the action in the flask is visibly stronger than the regular starter. The real test will be tomorrow when I ferment them side by side for real. I will continue to update my findings but so far I'd really recommend trying this for yourself.

On closer inspection it appears only about 2/3 of what's at the bottom is yeast. The rest is I believe some sort of potato sediment.(microscope;-).) still impressive as far as I'm concerned. If 1/8 vial multiplies that well/fast a whole vial should do very well.

Back