WLP029 and Malty Beer Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
So I am about to embark on a dead guy-ish pseudo maibock using ale yeast. I surely have pacman yeast on hand, but I got to thinking that WLP029 could be a superior choice if trying to emulate a german/euro lager type of style.

however, in every single case of using WLP029 I have ended with crips, dry ale with accentuated hop character.

Has anybody been succusfull in mashing a little higher and creating a malt focused beer with WLP029? I am thinking OG of 1.067 or so and mashing at 154 in order to ensure some residual sweetness/body but I am unsure how this yeast strain will react to that.

I've made my standard pale ale, which I always mash at 154, with 029 three times. My results: My beers were very sweet, but without the kind of body I usually get using 011 or 036. As for the hop accentuation (which I love about the strain), it was the same as the other beers (mashed lower) I've made with 029. I've switched to 011 fermented in the mid to low 60's for my malty psuedo-lagers. HTH.

Zuesy,
Have you bottle conditioned the beers you brewed with 029? Do they come out with a sulfur smell to them? I am making an Am. Wheat with calypso hops and 029 and bottle condition all my beers. Unfortunately, I now realize that I may have to del with that sulfur aroma on secondary fermentation, ie.e bottle conditioning. Have you dealt with this if you bottle condition your brews?
Thanks
J

Zuesy,
Have you bottle conditioned the beers you brewed with 029? Do they come out with a sulfur smell to them? I am making an Am. Wheat with calypso hops and 029 and bottle condition all my beers. Unfortunately, I now realize that I may have to del with that sulfur aroma on secondary fermentation, ie.e bottle conditioning. Have you dealt with this if you bottle condition your brews?
Thanks
J

29 is known for sulfer during fermentation, but I have found that if I primary for 3 weeks, cold crash and condition for a few before kegging or bottling , there is no sulfer at all.

Back