Ipad2 - really an improvement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
So I had the first iPad for a week and returned it to get the new one. The cameras in the new one totally suck, the weight reduction, although nice, makes it feel almost cheap. The speaker is in A weird place and projects sound differently depending on how it's held. The dual core processor seems to studder sometimes and I've had noticeable lag I never had with the one. The best thing about an iPad is words with friends!!

I seemed to misplace my g4 shuffle so I grabbed earbuds from g3 shuffle to plug into iPad and the volume control on the erbud cord controls the iPad volume- best thing I've found out about it to date.

A little off subject maybe...but can I ask you what you see in an iPad?

When I saw that apple was coming out with it last year, I said it wouldn't make it. I really didn't think people would spend money on something that was a combination of two things. It's not portable enough to take with you like a smartphone, and it doesn't do nearly as much as a deticated computer...so I just can't see the point in spending so much money.

Now we've got every other company coming out with their own versions...none of them comparible to the original (as usual) and it's a bit confusing in my eyes.

I thought that the apple loyal people would surely by them, but I can't believe they've done well on every market.

A little off subject maybe...but can I ask you what you see in an iPad?

When I saw that apple was coming out with it last year, I said it wouldn't make it. I really didn't think people would spend money on something that was a combination of two things. It's not portable enough to take with you like a smartphone, and it doesn't do nearly as much as a deticated computer...so I just can't see the point in spending so much money.

Now we've got every other company coming out with their own versions...none of them comparible to the original (as usual) and it's a bit confusing in my eyes.

I thought that the apple loyal people would surely by them, but I can't believe they've done well on every market.

More than fair ?. I am not an apple person at all. I have a g3 and a g4 shuffle in addition and thats it. I despise Steve jobs and the fact he most likely killed someone's best friend because he could put his name on every transplant list in the country because he can afford to get a private jet to get it "installed" at the blink of an eye, but we can discuss that in another thread. I did not buy the iPad, it was a gift from work for completing a large project. I would never spend more than $200, maybe 300, of my own dollars for something like this. I feel it does a good job of being portable and browsing the net and playing games, but that's about it. It does things most poeople do most commonly well. If skype gets an app, it will be cool. Lack of flash still sucks. Wish it had an internal cd/DVD drive. IMHO, a cheap 399 laptop from new egg you could throw away every two years would be a better investment.

There has been a skype app for iphone for a long time. Are you saying that one doesn't work on the iPad?

Not sure. I was reading a thread the other day saying it didn't, but I could be wrong. Like I said, not a huge apple guy though, so I could be wrong. Have to look further into it.

I need to throw my 2 cents in here as I've had an ipad for over a year now. also have had iphone for 4 yrs. I absolutely love the thing. It's sleek, compact, has great clarity, and is super fast. Shame on you for hating steve jobs so much. the guy is an absolute genius. he deserves to be at the top of the list for any transplant he needs. fair? maybe not, but there is a reason he has the wealth that he does. the guy has put together one of the most successful companies in the world. have you actually ever held an ipad and played with it? I'm pretty sure you would understand why it's so amazing. It's absolutely the wave of the future. #1 it's the most user-friendly unit on the market. My grandparents type emails on it. Yeah no usb, no disk drive, no this or that. newsflash.... you don't need any of that junk. with cloud storage and wifi there is no point to be traveling around with anything other than the pad.

Ps. Ipad does have flash, it's an app called iSwifter
it's free. And there is a skype app too.

I need to throw my 2 cents in here as I've had an ipad for over a year now. also have had iphone for 4 yrs. I absolutely love the thing. It's sleek, compact, has great clarity, and is super fast. Shame on you for hating steve jobs so much. the guy is an absolute genius. he deserves to be at the top of the list for any transplant he needs. fair? maybe not, but there is a reason he has the wealth that he does. the guy has put together one of the most successful companies in the world. have you actually ever held an ipad and played with it? I'm pretty sure you would understand why it's so amazing. It's absolutely the wave of the future. #1 it's the most user-friendly unit on the market. My grandparents type emails on it. Yeah no usb, no disk drive, no this or that. newsflash.... you don't need any of that junk. with cloud storage and wifi there is no point to be traveling around with anything other than the pad.

Mr. Jobs? Is that you?

I hate Apple's business practices, but I love their products. I have a touch and hope to buy an iPad 1 once all the fan boys start selling them to get iPad2s.

My draw is that the only thing I usually use the PC for at home is to browse the internet. That's it. Why go to a dedicated section of the house with a desktop or even pull out, open and boot up a laptop, when I can just grab a thin pad, swipe it and go?

I assume then that you have the new ipad because just like cut and paste on the iphone, mr jobs didn't think it was relevant on the safari browser. 6 months ago I understand you could mod something to get that rather rudimentary feature.

Find was not an option on the ipad gen 1.

If you read the op, I stated I had the iPad and have the ipad2, so yea, i have held one.

Just got the iswifter app. Flash seems to run, ok, but it's horribly slow. Maybe I'll keep it around to us in a pinch. Sorry i don't share you fuzzy warm feelings towards the iPad- it's just not very impressive go me. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe not, we'll have to wait and find out.

You sound like the typical apple customer. "Apple is all you need and everything else sucks!"

Apple has a nice UI, true, but the price is rediculous. I'm not going to pay that much money for something because it's shiny and fun to play with.

I could put an Apple logo on a piece of dog ****...bundle it with headphones and a crappy market to buy songs, and any apple fan boy would pay me $500 for it. As long as Steve Jobs introduced it...that is.

Back