Partial Mash Boil Time: 60 vs 90 (DMS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
As an extract brewer slowly making the transition to all-grain I have been reading up on boil times for a lot of all-grain recipes which, depending on the grain bill, are boiled for 90 minutes to drive off DMS.

However, is this necessary for Partial Mashing as well? I have searched a lot of threads and some say Yes and some say No and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I realize it would be simpler to just boil for 90 minutes to be safe though my propane budget would appreciate more clarification.

Specifically with the following grain bill:

Pale DME 4.47lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 80L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

Mash 6.3 quarts 165* 45-60 mins
Rinse 1 gal 180*
Add water to get 7 gallons

Can anyone please clarify for me? :confused:

i could be wrong here but the only times i've seen a recipe recommend a 90 minute boil is when the recipe includes pilsner malt or pilsner malt extract. all the rest have said 60 minutes.

i could be wrong here but the only times i've seen a recipe recommend a 90 minute boil is when the recipe includes pilsner malt or pilsner malt extract. all the rest have said 60 minutes.

You are probably right and I appreciate the clarification.

Back