Secondary Ferm. Container Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I haqve only ever bottled my brew direct from the primary fermenter container to the bottle, I have never racked to secondary and then bottled from there. From reading a fair bit about it, secondary seems the way to go so my question is:

Does the vessel used for secondary fermentation have to have an air lock as per the primary fermenter or is it supposed to be a sealed container to hold the presure? I know this sounds a bit dumb, I am assuming it has an air lock as the carbonation I would think is done through bottle conditioning. I just have to ask to make sure, please don't flame me for this question if you think I am asking something obvious. I am just a begginer home brewer :)

Cheers
Wardos

No problem. You need an airlock. 2ndary fermentation is about conditioning and clarifying, not carbonation. You may even have a bit of fermentation still going on, in which case, you need an airlock.

Prost!:mug:

wardos said:
I just have to ask to make sure, please don't flame me for this question if you think I am asking something obvious. I am just a begginer home brewer.
There's no such thing as a dumb question here...mostly! This forum is for people like you and I to share information about things like you asked. No need for the disclaimer!

To get to the point, a "secondary" in home beer brewing is usually more accurately called a clearing tank. You aren't inducing additional fermentation, but you are getting the beer away from the trub and sediment that can cause off flavors if left to its own devices. You'll definitely want an airlock during this phase, as fermentation is continuing at a slow pace. Carbonation will occur after you bottle or keg during the conditioning phase of your brew.

If you decide to go glass for your secondary, let me recommend getting a carboy BUNG with your airlock instead of a stopper. They're virtually impossible to push through the neck. It's no fun fishing a stopper out of a batch with a sanitized wire hanger...trust me!

Good luck.

BREW ON:mug:

Thanks guys, I am convinced I will be getting another vessel for the secondary, I can't wait to do another brew to see the difference in terms of beer clarity and possibly different taste with the wort not sitting on the trub for longer periods of time. I bet the wife will be spewing, another tub for brewing in the house ....

Cheers!
Wardos.

Hmm. . you could always use the excuse that brewing is the only thing that keeps you sane. ... $3000 later in equipment, and that excuse still works in my house. ;)

HaHaHa

What a classic !! You are very lucky...

Cheers mate!
Wardos

As a follow on question about secondary containers, do you think the size matters? I make 6 gal batches from the cans and 5 gal extract batches but I only have 6 gal carboys; I have done several 5 gal batches into the 6 gal carboy for secondary, but is that a problem? They have come out so far so good, but I was getting a bit anxious thinking maybe I need a 5 gal to minimize headspace. What is the conventional wisdom on this?

Biermann said:
Hmm. . you could always use the excuse that brewing is the only thing that keeps you sane. ... $3000 later in equipment, and that excuse still works in my house. ;)

I've been using that, I think it's wearing a bit thin, maybe I can get a few more carboys and empty bottles out of it...

After the first time you go to secondary, you always will. It really clears up the brew and you get a chance to smell it and taste it.

Back