I have a "Tart" Cherry tree loaded with cherries. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have what is called a "tart" or "sour" cherry tree in my yard. It's more like a bush, but whatever. It was planted by the woman that built the house, for cooking (I guess)... I have never been into the "sour" beer styles but want to do something with these cherries, it's loaded and they are ready to pick.

Also, I don't really want to sit on a beer for a couple years.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Jay

You could always add them to a wheat beer. I have done this with success and made a tasty cherry wheat. I just pulled off the stems and froze them beforw adding them whole to the fermenter. But that's just one technique

I'd freeze a few pounds for a few days to rupture the cell walls, then brew up a wheat beer. Steep the cherries about 160-170 for about 30 minutes or so, then finish cooling and pitch. You can also pitch some into the fermenter in a secondary for additional cherry kick.

sour cherry can pair really well with a big stout! complex, luscious, sweet enough to not come off as sour, tart enough to balance the sweet

Being the foremost expert, self appointed, on tart cherry beers I suggest you send any beers made with such to me for scrutiny.

All good ideas guys! with a name like @SweetStout I figured I would get a reply like that. I like the idea.

Keep the ideas flowing!

Man, my wheels are turning..

Cheers
Jay

I have a bunch of cherry trees I have planted over the last couple years...... I am not into the "sour beer" brewing really either. I am thinking I might brew a Saison or two and add cherries to one of them or half a batch. I am thinking about throwing them into beer for a week or two after primary fermentation. Probably use a method like this - rack beer into keg on cherries, then rack it to a serving keg for carbonation and serving. http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html

I have a bunch of cherry trees I have planted over the last couple years...... I am not into the "sour beer" brewing really either. I am thinking I might brew a Saison or two and add cherries to one of them or half a batch. I am thinking about throwing them into beer for a week or two after primary fermentation. Probably use a method like this - rack beer into keg on cherries, then rack it to a serving keg for carbonation and serving. http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html

Very cool idea! Thanks for the link..

Cheers
Jay

I concur with the others, freeze them and make a wheat beer or a cream ale. I would love to have a couple pound's to make a mead with.

I agree with freezing them. Tart cherries are probably my favorite fruit, and they are definitely my favorite fruit in beers. Although I like them best in sour beers, in a wheat ale fermented with just brewer's yeast, you'll have a much less sour beer. I've used tart cherries in cider, wheat beer, a standard ale with tart cherries added, and a Belgian dubbel (although I drink sour beers all the time, I've never actually made a sour beer with tart cherries in it). The less you add, the less you'll taste the cherries. I found that out the hard way, imagining that a flavor as strong as tart cherries was going to come out like crazy only to find out later that I would need to add pounds and pounds of the stuff to get a strong tart cherry flavor. I just bring it up since you mentioned you don't normally like tart cherries, so you might want to just give a wheat ale (or a stout or brown ale) just a touch of tart cherry flavoring. With the stout idea, you could even get a chocolate-covered cherry flavor if you pick the right grain bill.

I don't know if you've had Troeg's Mad Elf before, but a member here has gotten help from the brewery to get his recipe pretty close. He has it posted here: http://files.samfoust.com/Uploads/madelf2.html There is a topic here in HBT about it somewhere.

Elf uses both sweet and sour cherries. They brew in the summer for release in October, but it cellars wonderfully for several years.

Well my boys and I went out there this evening. Braved the mosquitoes and was able to pick a little over 15# of fruit. There are about another 10# on the tree that will take about another 5 days or so to get ripe. I am BLOWN AWAY how many #'s we got! I am thinking I probably have enough for 2 beers. I am thinking a tart cherry wheat for summer like was first suggested by @rupert130 and I REALLY like the idea of a Chocolate covered cherry Porter or Stout like @worlddivides was talking about.
Hmmmmmm What to do What to do!
So I cleaned them, ok well I rinsed them really well and bagged them in 3 freezer Zip Lock bags a little over 5# each. Pulled as much air out as I could and chucked em in the freezer for a short nap.

You guys want to help me with a 10 gallon Tart Cherry Wheat recipe? Any suggestions on a process, grain bill and hop schedule?
I would think adding very little bitterness to it knowing I am using tart cherries. The tart may come across as a little bitterness in the beer. Whats your guys thoughts?

Cheers
Jay

Well my boys and I went out there this evening. Braved the mosquitoes and was able to pick a little over 15# of fruit. There are about another 10# on the tree that will take about another 5 days or so to get ripe. I am BLOWN AWAY how many #'s we got! I am thinking I probably have enough for 2 beers. I am thinking a tart cherry wheat for summer like was first suggested by @rupert130 and I REALLY like the idea of a Chocolate covered cherry Porter or Stout like @worlddivides was talking about.
Hmmmmmm What to do What to do!
So I cleaned them, ok well I rinsed them really well and bagged them in 3 freezer Zip Lock bags a little over 5# each. Pulled as much air out as I could and chucked em in the freezer for a short nap.

You guys want to help me with a 10 gallon Tart Cherry Wheat recipe? Any suggestions on a process, grain bill and hop schedule?
I would think adding very little bitterness to it knowing I am using tart cherries. The tart may come across as a little bitterness in the beer. Whats your guys thoughts?

Cheers
Jay

My favorite cherry wheat was made from an American Wheat base recipe. 50/50, 2-row/white wheat. Then just enough hops for balance. Maybe cheat to the side of less hops to let cherries and malt flavors shine.

You can send them to me... I have three sours that are ready for fruit for lambic styled ales... I'd gladly send you part of a run! It would even give us a reason to visit Yreka (met and married my wife there 30 years ago).

Back