activating liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
So I pulled out my packet of Wyeast to make a starter for brewing friday. I thought I had broken the inner bag, so I set it aside to swell. When I came back several hours later, the bag still appeared flat. I smacked it around some more and heard some fizzing inside, which I assume means the package finally broke. Is this a problem? It has been sitting at room temp for about 5 hours now. Anyone have any suggestions on if the yeast is still usable?

It's fine. When you order smack packs online they're typically shipped without anything to keep them cool so they're at least at room temperature for a few days during shipping. It should start swelling in a few hours.

If you're making a starter, just use the yeast without waiting for the smack pack to swell. The swelling is just an indication that the nutrient packet is broken and the yeast is viable- it's not going to give you more yeast. So, make the starter, and pour the yeast into it. No need to wait.

Got up this morning and checked it and it has not swollen at all. I am 99% positive the inner yeast packet was broken. I'm just going to make a starter and pitch it right now. I shouldn't have any problems with that, correct?

I was wondering, If I was going to make a partial mash and I didn't have any spare DME, should I just use a cup of the DME that is suppose to go in the beer for the starter?

I was wondering, If I was going to make a partial mash and I didn't have any spare DME, should I just use a cup of the DME that is suppose to go in the beer for the starter?

In a pinch, yes. But instead of decanting off the starter beer on top of the yeast, pitch the whole thing in.

But in the future, when you stock up on supplies, grad a couple pounds of DME to have on hand. I brew mostly AG, but I keep 2-3 pounds on hand. Mostly for starters, but sometimes if you don't hit your numbers in a batch, tossing in a pound of dme can get you closer to the starting gravity you were looking for.

In a pinch, yes. But instead of decanting off the starter beer on top of the yeast, pitch the whole thing in.

But in the future, when you stock up on supplies, grad a couple pounds of DME to have on hand. I brew mostly AG, but I keep 2-3 pounds on hand. Mostly for starters, but sometimes if you don't hit your numbers in a batch, tossing in a pound of dme can get you closer to the starting gravity you were looking for.

Alrighty, thanks. I'll buy 2lbs of DME on my next order.

If you're making a starter, just use the yeast without waiting for the smack pack to swell. The swelling is just an indication that the nutrient packet is broken and the yeast is viable- it's not going to give you more yeast. So, make the starter, and pour the yeast into it. No need to wait.

+1. Thank you.

Back