Hop Advice for new all grain brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattco353

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Your brewing bug has spread to Ireland and having bought a copy of Palmer and recycled some of my excess plumbing fittings I'm hoping to start my first all grain batch in the next few days. I'm hoping to brew a brown ale or a stout but had difficulty sourcing the hops listed. The brown ale recipe lists .5oz Nugget and .5 oz Willamette and the stout recipe .75 oz Nugget and 1 oz Fuggles. What I have are Fuggles, Willamette and East Kent Goldings (all listed by Mr. Palmer as aroma hops) What would Jesus do? (or a more experienced brewer!)

Nugget is somewhat similar to hallertau and is a noble hop. I would probably leave it out of my browns and stouts. Willamette and Fuggles are similar as Willamette comes from Fuggles. Both of those work great in stouts and browns. Same goes for goldings. You most certainly can use any of those for bittering as well as flavor/aroma. Personally, I would probably use the cheapest one with the highest AA for bittering and save the more expensive, lower AA stuff for flavor/aroma. Just use something like Beer Calculus to calculate how much to use to hit your IBU targets.

You can also use American hops in a brown but I much prefer the Englsih style hops for these styles. That is just my preference though.

Welcome to homebrewing and especially to HBT! Happy Brewing...

Many thanks, I used Fuggles & Goldings and had a look at some of the software available. I think my mash temp was too low so perhaps I should have been concerned about more basic things!

Sweet! Remember that you can adjust your mash temp by adding boiling or cold water and stirring. I pretty much always have to adjust a little. For my purposes, Beer Calculus is free and online (no download needed). Check it out.

Back