Brewing 2 days to make 10 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
So... here's a question:

I hapen to have stumbled upon an 11 gallon conainer thats suitable as a primary fermentor. The trouble is, I'm set up to do 5gal AG batches. So, here's my question. If I were to brew up 5 gallons of wort on saturday and pitch into this 11 gallon fermentor, could I then brew up 5 more gallons of the same on Sunday and just add the wort to the fermentor? Now, obviosuly there are no beer police watching my every move so, physically I coudl do this. But what would the potential issues be with this method?

The yeast would have had perhaps 24 hours to get going and I think they would still be consuming oxygen to reproduce, but maybe I 'm wrong. Anyone ever think about this or do it?

As long as your sanitation is sound, as it should be perfectly fine. Also make sure the temp is even between vessels before adding second batch. And I would pitch the yeast in the first batch to help get it going, then just add the second the next day.

+1 to the above. This sounds like a really good idea for someone in your situation! You've earned your gold star for the day!!!

The yeast should be good and hungry after munching on the first batch of wort and they'll be ready for some more goodies! I'd just make sure to aerate that second batch of wort so the yeast can re-reproduce and ferment away!

The blowoff potential I think would be pretty high, so use some sort of foam control to minimize your wort losses but other than that you should be just fine.

The brewery that I worked in did exactly that. The fermentors were all 25 hectoliters and the brewhouse was ~15 hl. We would fill one fermentor over two days by brewing two 12.5 hl batches. We would aerate on the first day only and everything was fine. Pitch yeast on the first day as well. Never any problems.

Latest posts

Back