If you had to choose between 4 finishing hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
What would they be? I'm planning to pre-order 4 different varieties of hop rhizomes soon and I'm having a hard time deciding on which to choose. So, if you were in my shoes (and god bless your nose if you were), which hops would you pick?

Hmmm my personal preferences would be:

Cascade
Fuggles or Willamette
Hallertau or Mt Hood.
Goldings of some sort

These would cover almost all of the beers I would make on a regular basis. Goldings is similar to the fuggles, but they come in to play a lot with Belgians, which I enjoy quite a bit. Hallertau/Mt Hood will cover my hefeweizen addiction. Fuggles/Willamette for the various British beers. Cascades all the way for pale ales. I might change out the goldings for a high AA hop just for more efficient brewing, but probably not.

Fuggles/Willamette & Cascade would be 2 VERY solid choices though I think. Cascades define the American IPA and Fuggles works with a variety of British styles.

Centennial - A better choice than Cascades IMO, higher alpha and better flavor...
Goldings - Very versatile for British ales and other varities in general
Saaz - Good in Belgians amd other continental varities
Hallertau - Noble hop.....

I heard on a Basic Brewing podcast that Goldings were tough to grow in a hot area, probably ok for DE. Since some of my favorite "new" hops like amarillo and simcoe aren't available (proprietary strains), I'd recommend:

Hallertau (German beers)
Cascade (American beers)
Nugget or Cluster (general bittering)
Goldings (English) if they'll grow in your area.

Back