regulators and co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauldog28505

Reaction score
i am currently using the bullet style co2 for my signal keg. i do not have a regulator just yet but was looking at Lowes the other day and found a regulator and co2 tank for under $60. what i am looking at is
http://www.lowes.com/pd_82384-61735...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=co2&facetInfo=
it does not show the tank up there but i was wondering would this work for only having the one keg and about to hook up a second keg in about 2 weeks. i would have a valve going to each keg so i could shut one off or both off if needed to. if this would not work would u suggest. i am on a very tight budget and this works budget wise but not sure about beer wise.
thanks a bunch for any comments.

primary: empty
secondary: empty
keg #1 Keller on tap now
keg #3 Holiday Cheer from the joy of home brewing book. conditioning as of yesterday. will condition until day before thanksgiving.
thinking of something new to brew but dont know what yet

I wouldn't go that route. But that is because I didn't see that the co2 tank itself is included in that price of $60.

You can get a regulator from Keg Cowboy or Keg Connection. Get a regulator, and you can also purchase a 2-way splitter, to replace the check valve on the regulator. Then as long as you have 2 gas lines, 2 beer lines, and your pin/ball lock connectors you are all set. (well..and picnic tap or faucets for dispensing)

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=90

If its really $60 for that regulator AND the tank, that may be a good deal. You would still at the very least need a check valve on that regulator.

Yes the $60 would include a co2 tank that is filled and the regular and possible enough to buy a couple of valves.

Honestly, if you're on that much of a budget I'd just keep saving up to get a "proper" regulator and 5-10# tank. Get them used if you can to save some money. Eventually you're going to get sick of refilling those tiny paintball-sized tanks, and then you'll be stuck buying a new regulator anyway. Check craigslist, call the local welding supply shops etc...

Also, how accurate is that regulator at the low pressure ranges that we use for beer? The reviews I'm finding online aren't very good...

I bought the regulator from Lowes and it works great. I have pushed 4-5gals of beer all ready and have had no problems with it. I disconnect it when I am not filling the kegs with gas and add gas when running low BC I have not gotten another gas disconnect or a T valve

What size tank does that fit? Damn I prob would have jumped on that. I just bought a bunch of kobalt stuff. It's great stuff for the price. I gaurentee the metal parts on this are ten times the quality of the one the earlier poster recommended.

It is a 20oz tank. I got it at Lowes also in the tool section. I can have the filled @ a co2 shop or take back to Lowes and exchange it at a cheep price.
Have fun brewing and have a homebrew while doing it.

I gaurentee the metal parts on this are ten times the quality of the one the earlier poster recommended.

what metal parts? the tank? i'd go with a system from a HBS or something like that... oh, wait, i did.

no offense OP, but i'm willing to bet that you'll end up going that route sooner or later, as that lowes setup doesn't look like the ideal thing for kegging and serving beer. i was going post to warn you about that, but saw you reposted and said you got it already. FYI, my LHBS has used single regulator setups, with 5# tank for $69.95, and they do mail order. :D

Back