Can i travel by air with yeast samples in hand luggage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeJock

Reaction score
Troops.

Can i travel by air from the US to mexico with 12 or so vials of white labs?
Dont fancy puting it in the hold due to heavy handed baggage personell.
Has anyone tried ?

English Honey Bitter :primary
Scottish Export 80 shilling : Secondary

Empty Bottles in Fridge awaiting fillage!

How many oz is a White Labs vial? If its under 5oz, you might be able to get away with it. I kind of doubt they will let you carry on 12 vials though. Wrap em up good in some bubble wrap, put the whole lot in a zip lock bag and bury them in your luggage. They are plastic after all.

I doubt it! I'm flying tomorrow, and I just read all of the rules about "liquids and gels". You're allowed to take liquids or gels in containers of under 3 ounces, in one 1-quart ziploc bag. They must be loose in there, and the labels have to show, and you get one ziploc bag per passenger. I'm taking a little bit of toothpaste, shampoo, and hair gel in miniscule containers and my ziploc bag is pretty full.

I'd suggest doing what Edcculus posted, and wrapped them carefully and take them in your checked bags.

I would be really bummed to hear that anyone could get on a plane with various vials of liquid. Check em' - they are not going to break.

Just check the yeast tubes with a cold pack.

I would be really bummed to hear that anyone could get on a plane with various vials of liquid. .

Why?
Oh you must believe the hype over the liquid bomb threat:rolleyes:

Sir, I'm going to have to take this bottle of water away from you since it might be a liquid explosive, and I'm going to have to mix it with all of these other bottles of possibly liquid explosive, and I'm going to have to dump them all in this trash can... together.

EU To End Ban On Carry-On Liquids

Now TSA is "testing" drinks purchased in the Sterile AREA

Repeat after me ,the TSA engages in "security theater".

Just check the yeast tubes with a cold pack.

Why?
Oh you must believe the hype over the liquid bomb threat:rolleyes:

Sir, I'm going to have to take this bottle of water away from you since it might be a liquid explosive, and I'm going to have to mix it with all of these other bottles of possibly liquid explosive, and I'm going to have to dump them all in this trash can... together.

EU To End Ban On Carry-On Liquids

Now TSA is "testing" drinks purchased in the Sterile AREA

Repeat after me ,the TSA engages in "security theater".

We're not going there. Please stay on topic and not take this thread off-topic.

The topic is "can I bring vials of yeast in my carryon bag", not "What does everything think about the TSA and their rules?".

Aside from the issue of getting through security if you take them carry-on, you will also need to deal with customs when you get off the plane.
I know that I have had to throw away all food that I had with me, and they really checked for it, I think this was when going to Mexico. Not sure how they would treat yeast, but I could see that being treated the same way.

you could just take half as many and build up your starter prior to brewing.

WhiteLabs' vials are extremely durable-- these little vials actually are what is used to make 2-liter bottles. They are subjected to heat and pressurized air and "blow-molded" into large 2-liter bottles for soda pop.

I'd wager you could run over a white labs vial with a city bus and the only thing that might break is the cap.

quit fussing, check the yeast in your luggage, and have a nice trip!

you could just take half as many and build up your starter prior to brewing.

WhiteLabs' vials are extremely durable-- these little vials actually are what is used to make 2-liter bottles. They are subjected to heat and pressurized air and "blow-molded" into large 2-liter bottles for soda pop.

I'd wager you could run over a white labs vial with a city bus and the only thing that might break is the cap.

quit fussing, check the yeast in your luggage, and have a nice trip!

Im guessing his flight has landed by now.

None of my flights to Mexico have taken 2 and a half years.

I once landed at O'hare during a snow storm. We were right outside the gate, but they were defrosting all the other planes. We were on the plane looking at the gate for 3.5 hours, with my wife next to me with a recent busted tailbone injury. What a fricking NIGHTMARE. VIVA LA MEXICO!!!

I know I know--- sheesh....

I once sat in an un-airconditioned plane in Florida on the runway waiting for repairs for like 18hrs. with a cold. that was some ****ty beaver.

Back