need a quick answer please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I over shot my sparge volume so I have 7 gallons in the boil pot rather than 6.5.... Will boiling an extra half hour to get rid of the volume mess up the beer profile as long as I start my hops from 60 like normal?

It'll be a little bit darker, but I don't think by much. What's wrong with having seven gallons? I'd just take the seven and run with it. So to answer your question quickly, no, it won't mess up your beer profile, except the color being a little darker.

It'll be a little bit darker, but I don't think by much. What's wrong with having seven gallons? I'd just take the seven and run with it. So to answer your question quickly, no, it won't mess up your beer profile, except the color being a little darker.
afraid I will miss my OG

It should actually be better. Go for a VIGOROUS boil to get rid of certain little....thingies...DMS?

I forget.

DMS is from leaving thecover on the pot while boiling, isn't it? True, the beer would be better, IMO.

Are you entering the beer into a competition? It seems like a very minor detail to be this worried about it. If it's going to be entered, then by all means, get the right answer, but if not, just boil it for 90, start your hop additions at 60, and proceed as normal.

From May/June 2002 Brew Your Own magazine:

"Color pick-up in the kettle is a combination of several factors. The caramelization of wort sugars darkens the wort as it boils. Loss of an H2O molecule from the complex sugar molecule forms a double bond inside the sugar molecule, which changes the way the sugar molecule absorbs light, thereby affecting the color. Drive off all water and you’re left with carbon.

Color development also comes from melanoidin production from polymerization of reductones. (These Maillard reactions are described in more detail in the November 2001 “Homebrew Science” article on crystal malts.) These reactions also contribute some flavor compounds. The rate that these reactions occur is slow due to the unfavorable pH and temperature conditions in boiling wort. "

I'd boil for longer, instead of having to adjust hops and risk missing your OG.

The boil itself will not change things too drastically, IMO. If you took pre-boil gravity along with volume, you can figure out what volume you need to get to in order to hit your OG. Remember, grav1*vol1=grav2*vol2.

I took a preboil gravity and it seems I will be fine with the 7 gallons at 60 mins.. efficiency was a little higher evidently this time.. thanks guys. And I am drinking an experiment right now lol.. I like doing em.

I took a preboil gravity and it seems I will be fine with the 7 gallons at 60 mins.. efficiency was a little higher evidently this time.. thanks guys. And I am drinking an experiment right now lol.. I like doing em.

RODGER THAT GHOST RIDER.

Without experimentation we'd all be drinking a pretty boring and limited selection of styles.

Back