Size of secondary fermentation container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Recently saw a video and read some follow up material that suggested that the size of the secondary fermentation container should be near to the exact size of the wort being fermented. So if you are fermenting a 5G batch, and the primary; which is more active was in a 6/6.5 container the secondary should be 5G. The reason given was due to the less active fermentation that occurs at this stage so reducing the amount of oxygen at the top of the container will reduce the exposure of the wort to oxygen.

Anyone that has been doing this care to comment on it? If so, did you switch to it and notice a difference or did you just start out this way by default?

Thanks!

David

That is good advice. Since fermentation is done when you move to a secondary (provided you didn't rush it) it is true that you want as little surface area in contact with air as possible. There's no constant expulsion of CO2 that keeps a nice protective layer over the beer like you have during active fermentation. So, if you want to minimize the chances of getting oxidized beer, then using a vessel that's nearly the exact same size as the batch is going to be your best bet.

That's not to say people haven't done a secondary in larger bottles, or that every single beer will be oxidized, but it's best practice, and is real important once you start talking about longer secondaries or bulk aging.

IMO, if you don't have the right size vessel for a secondary and you aren't doing it to bulk age for a long time anyway, just stick with a slightly longer primary until you can find the right sized bottle/carboy.

Yes, I do 5.5 gallon batches (into the fermenter) and use the large better bottle (is that 6 or 6.5 gals?) for primary and a 5 gallon carboy for secondary or bright tank.

i always primary in a 6.5 gallon carboy...it has more room for the yeast cake and less chance of a blow off. and i have a 5 gallon for the secondary for the reason you said

Latest posts

Back