Black Butte XXIV clone help/thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skitsofits

Reaction score
At the end of the summer there will be fresh figs here in Oregon and I would like to take advantage of them by trying my hand at a Black Butte XXIV clone. I have never tried to put together my own recipe so I grabbed Beer Smith 2 and figured I would start planning now for what I want to do and was hoping for any advice on what I got so far it will be a 5 gallon batch. Feel free to let me know if you think I'm way off base here or on track or that I should just hang up the brew pot and just drink commercial beer :D. Also this not an AG recipe I do not have the space for that (So says my wife).

11 lbs Pale LME
2 lbs Wheat LME
1 lbs Crystal 80
11.5oz Chocolate Malt
11.5oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
1.35oz Milennium Hops at 60.00 min
1.50oz Cascade Hops at 30.00 min
1.00oz Tattnang Hopa at the last 5 min
Safale US-05

Beer Smith 2 gives me OG 1.112 and 68.2 IBU and estimated ABV of 11.5%.
I'm thinking a pound of figs a half pound of dates and 5oz of Cocoa nibs and 1oz Licorice root to complete everything. Any thoughts? Also I'm planning on caramelizing the fruit and putting it in the boil I watched a commercial brewer do this anyone here ever do the same? I'm not worried about haze in such a dark beer. I'm not 100% on the weights for the fruit I'm thinking I will probably need quite a bit more but not sure If caramelizing and adding to boil will increase/decrease the flavor.

Back