Opened beer at 1 week in bottle....so good!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer30Dave

Reaction score
Alright good folks, talk me out of drinking another one quick! :) I just opened a bottle of my second batch I've brewed and it was actually good!! This was a brewer's best Imperial nut brown ale. SWMBO helped me bottle it a week ago, and was a little disappointed I wasn't going to open one today. I told her it would probably not be carbed and it would probably need some further conditioning.. ie green beer. Well, it was mentioned more than once so I put one in the fridge to chill a bit. After 3 hours or so, I opened it. I went with the flip-top bottles and expected nothing more than the *pop* from the stopper coming out when I flipped it. What happened was more pronounced like that of a champagne cork. I was a bit shocked! Then I poured it in a glass and the nicest head began to appear! The taste is way better than my first brew, a coopers diy lager. I like this....alot! Now the hard part....waiting. So please tell me it will be way better in a few weeks and to just wait, so I don't start drinking it this week!

It will be better if you wait, but if you like it go for it. When my pipeline is low I drink plenty before their prime. If it's between a young homebrew that taste ok and store bought I will take the hb usually unless I just want a style I don't have.

Only thing that really helps is getting a good pipline so you have plenty of styles that are ready to go

Actually there is an upside to drinking it now and over the next few weeks. I can help justify this by you taking tasting notes every time you have a "sample". Being its your second batch this is a good exercise to show how a beer matures as it ages.

I check one every batch almost a week in fact i did tonight, but i could just telll it will be better in a few more..

Yeah, you've really gotta go with your taste over what you read, if you're brewing mostly for yourself. Most people say russian imperial stouts are undrinkable until after 6 months or so, but I find mine amazing at 3 weeks in the bottle, up until about 3 months when they lose a little magic and taste more boring. I mean don't go drinking ALL of them without finding out what they could be after more time, but no reason to hold back. If I just went by what I read I would have missed my personal window of awesomeness in sweet russian imperial stouts, and that would just be a sad, sad thing.

Thanks for the feedback, I am glad I had one tonight. I will prob have one next week, again for research. may start. ;) I would love to get a pipeline going, that is my goal. I had this in my primary for four weeks, and my, first bottle went way too fast!

I brewed this same exact kit back in January. It was my first brew ever and it turned out great. I'm down to about 12 bottles left. I since decided it was so hard to let it bottle condition for the appropriate length of time I can never go without brew in the pipeline. I have 2 going now and another waiting on deck.

I always test one at one week just to see. After that i will have one or two but I try to let it bottle condition for at least two weeks but it is almost impossible. As long as you like it pound it :)

Latest posts

Back