Adjusting hop amounts for increased boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
If I have an extract kit that calls for 2.5 gallons of water, and uses 1 oz. bittering hops, do I need to adjust (decrease?) the amount of hops for a larger boil, say 3.5 gallons?

I try to keep my ratio of water and DME about equal, 1 gal for 1 lb, 2 gals for 2 lbs, etc. ;)

If you add more malt to a smaller portion of water the density (gravity) will be too high and the hops utilization goes down. Too little malt and the utilization goes up.

If you have Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing book look for the Hop Utilization Chart.

You ultimately want to base you hop additions on the final volume that goes into the fermenter. Unless you are brewing a really weak beer, or a really strong one, I think the differences in utilization will not be noticible in the final product

Of course, once in the primary I will add water to bring up to 5 gallons. I can't do a full 5 gallon boil, but can start with 3.5 - 4 gals. I thought I read that as one's boil volume increases, the hop amounts need to be decreased.

The reason I ask is that I have used more water for my boils then what the typical extract recipe (kits) would call for, but I did not change the hop amounts at all. Perhaps it doesn't make a difference since I only went up by a gallon, just want to be sure.

Will definitely check out CP's book. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass. :tank:

Of course, once in the primary I will add water to bring up to 5 gallons. I can't do a full 5 gallon boil, but can start with 3.5 - 4 gals. I thought I read that as one's boil volume increases, the hop amounts need to be decreased.

The reason I ask is that I have used more water for my boils then what the typical extract recipe (kits) would call for, but I did not change the hop amounts at all. Perhaps it doesn't make a difference since I only went up by a gallon, just want to be sure.

Will definitely check out CP's book. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass. :tank:

I think if you go from 2.5 gallon boils to 5.5 gallon boils, you can decrease your bittering hops by about 20% or so. If I was just increasing the boil by a gallon or so, I wouldn't make any adjustments at all- the difference would be negligible.

Back