mini mash noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a batch with a friend later tonight. I'm thinking of trying my first mini with the grains rather than simply steeping them. Here's what I've got for grain:

1lb 2-row
4oz Chocolate
3oz Carapils

Basically, I heat them to 150-152ish for 1/2 hour in 1.5 quarts of water. Then I can sparge with an additional quart of 150* water through a strainer. Am I correct in doing it this way...at least as far as gaining a bit more than with steeping?

I'm at work so I kind of had to limit my searching time so THE MAN doesn't come down on my. :eek:

Thanks for any input.

From what I understand, sparge water amounts are 0.5 gallon for every pound of grain (could be variable)

And strike water (initial mash water) amounts are 1.2 to 1.5 quarts per pound. I would guess that you need a little more grain.

That was my initial thought too. 1.5 lbs of grain is awfully low for a partial. Anyway you can get 3 or so more pounds of two-row before brew day?

Both the 2-row and the carapils will benefit from mashing. But at the same time, the idea behind doing a mash (of any size) is to extract fermentable sugars from the grain. 1 lb of 2-row will contribute very little sugar to the wort.

I agree with cubbies get 3 more pounds of 2-row and you will be in business.

Looks like I'll just be steeping it then. When toying with the recipe on the tasty brew calculator is when I decided to see what extra I could squeeze out of the grains.

With steeping only:
OG - 1.057
FG - 1.014
IBU - 31
SRM - 16
ABV 5.5

By changing the two-row and carapils to mashed:
OG - 1.061
FG - 1.015
IBU - 30
SRM - 16
ABV - 5.9

I'm definitely brewing tonight as it will be the only chance to hook up with this friend in awhile. It also helps that SWMBO has plans and will be gone until the wee hours. Therefore, I won't be able to pick up any additional grains.

Here's the recipe. Keep in mind that I came up with this as a recipe on a budget and I already had the hops and yeast.

6lbs Amber LME
1lb Two-row
.25 Chocolate
.19 Carapils
1oz Hallertau 6% @ 60
1oz Hallertau 6% @10

Not worth the hassle for the .4% gain? I suppose not.

I'm saying, at least for me, I would never notice that 0.4%. I'd be to emeshed with the taste, smell, and looks of the beer to be worried about how much alcohol it had.

Don't get me wrong, when I sit back with a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, knowing how much I love the taste of the malts and hops, the ruby color and the viscosity of the beer, I do enjoy the fact that it's a "heavy" in terms of punch. But, that's last on the list.

lgtg said:
I'm saying, at least for me, I would never notice that 0.4%. I'd be to emeshed with the taste, smell, and looks of the beer to be worried about how much alcohol it had.

Don't get me wrong, when I sit back with a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, knowing how much I love the taste of the malts and hops, the ruby color and the viscosity of the beer, I do enjoy the fact that it's a "heavy" in terms of punch. But, that's last on the list.

I hear ya. When I want a "big" beer I'll get a big beer...La Fin Du Monde perhaps. This batch is to be the last one of three that I am brewing in preparation of a party in July. These are to be the ones that are easily accessable in the cooler. My more special brews will be in the garage fridge so they won't dissappear quite so fast, reserved for a few select friends. ;)

Back